Is MotiveWave even usable for Tick Data indicators?!

I'm currently using Binance, trading BTCUSDT. I bought MotiveWave exclusively because it's able to display footprint chats. A month ago I successfully made it "work" by tinkering for a whole week and waiting sometimes for an hour and sometimes for 10 minutes for the indicator to load. After taking a break from trading for 2 weeks, now it won't load even after 2 hours on same setup. If I ever have to wait more than few minutes for indicator to load, I might as well throw the whole MotiveWave in trash. If under specific conditions, MotiveWave NEEDS HALF AN HOUR FOR INDICATOR TO LOAD, THIS IS NOT A USABLE PLATFORM. IF YOU CAN'T DOCUMENT HOW TO GET AROUND THIS ISSUE, AT LEAST WARN THE USER.

I also want to run backtests - tried importing CSV data - even programmed a converter of Binance data to "MotiveWave format" WHICH MOTIVEWAVE TEAM DID NOT EVEN DOCUMENT, but somebody suggested to use the same format they use when you export data. That at the end did not work - I imported half a year of data in Offline mode, Replayed to the middle of that half year period and got warning that there is no data available for that timeframe.

I've contacted Support and now I'm in a queue for several days. My first email about this was more than a month ago to which I got a generic response.

I'm regretting buying MotiveWave because there are way better options, maybe not from customisation standpoint, but at least I wouldn't be in a constant fight with the platform that should be helping me, not making me hate trading. Absence of official employees in this forum and lack of documentation tells the real story about how much they care about the customers.

Version: MotiveWave Ultimate 6.8.6
Platform: Macbook Pro M1 Pro, 32GB RAM
Broker: Binance
Pair: BTC/USDT
Allocated memory: 16GB/8GB (work/graphics)
Network speed: 1Gb/s

Last edited:

itradefutures

Don't make sweeping statements that this is not a usable platform, I and many other professionals use it. You're trading crypto, an incredibly immature product compared to other asset classes. The infrastructure does not compare to other products.

The problem is many people complain about MotiveWave when most of the issues are on the data feed or user and not the platform. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's a user error most of the time.

What are you using as your benchmark for speed? Is it TradingView? That's fast because the data fidelity is trash. It's an approximation. It doesn't use tick data.

Let's take this thread you've posted with a similar issue here: https://support.motivewave.com/foru...rint-bid-ask-volume-indicator.2052/#post-7962.

From what I can see, you were attempting to load 800 Bid/Asks at one point, 20 at a time. That's a ton of data. I do not know why you'd be doing that or what the edge is in loading that many, but that data has to come from Binance, so the logical conclusion is to test an alternative data feed to isolate the issue.

Test against another data feed like dxFeed, CQG, and Rithmic. These are feeds, not crypto brokers. Worst case, test on another crypto broker. If that fails, you can kick off on MotiveWave.

Last edited:

Donovan2580

Don't make sweeping statements that this is not a usable platform, I and many other professionals use it. You're trading crypto, an incredibly immature product compared to other asset classes. The infrastructure does not compare to other products.

The problem is many people complain about MotiveWave when most of the issues are on the data feed or user and not the platform. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's a user error most of the time.

What are you using as your benchmark for speed? Is it TradingView? That's fast because the data fidelity is trash. It's an approximation. It doesn't use tick data.

Let's take this thread you've posted with a similar issue here: https://support.motivewave.com/foru...rint-bid-ask-volume-indicator.2052/#post-7962.

From what I can see, you were attempting to load 800 Bid/Asks at one point, 20 at a time. That's a ton of data. I do not know why you'd be doing that or what the edge is in loading that many, but that data has to come from Binance, so the logical conclusion is to test an alternative data feed to isolate the issue.

Test against another data feed like dxFeed, CQG, and Rithmic. These are feeds, not crypto brokers. Worst case, test on another crypto broker. If that fails, you can kick off on MotiveWave.

Well said @itradefutures ;)

Tig12

Guys would like to ask one simple question regarding Binance support !
I am new in the forum and see that you guys have a lot of experience with it - my question is

Is there a list of supported crypto tickers from Binance in MW?

Spin

Someone who has a Binance connection could export that for you. Sadly that won't be me

EDIT: doesn't Binance have free connections ? Then you could add one yourself and export the tickers to a file
:)