BUG: Unusable "Volume Imprint - Bid/Ask Volume" indicator

Version: MotiveWave Ultimate 6.8.4
Platform: Macbook Pro M1 Pro, 32GB RAM
Broker: Binance
Pair: BTC/USDT
Allocated memory: 16GB/8GB (work/graphics)
Network speed: 1Gb/s

Indicator settings:
Tick Interval: 2000
Imprint Count: 20

"Loading a ton of data case" is not applicable here. The same chart when working properly loads in 1-2 minutes, sometimes it takes 8 minutes and sometimes it never loads and freezes the whole chart for an hour (that is the max I've waited). Then if I use any of the 3 option below it either does not load again for half an hour and forces me to restart it and sometimes it loads the indicator in a minute. Sometimes it freezes when I scroll left for few candles (4 to 10 at once) and doesn't react again for half an hour and bugs out the whole chart until I restart it. This is plain and simple incorrect handling of data or bad implementation on MacOS M-series.

Combination of these actions makes the platform work again, but unpredicatably so - sometimes a single action makes it work, sometimes none of them work:
  • File >> Disconnect/Connect
  • Volume Imprint Preferences >> Column 1 |Bid/Ask| Disable >> Apply >> Column 1 |Bid/Ask| Enable >> Apply
    • If whole chart froze beforehand I first have to change Timeframe to unfreeze the chart and be able to use this option
  • Restart MotiveWave
I'm also working on importing Historical Tick Data to be able to load it faster. It seems to work, but even during the test of imported data of 3 previous days, MotiveWave for no better term died at least 5 times before I've successfully checked the whole 3 days.

Please @MotiveWave_Jason @MotiveWave_Joe please can you look into this or contact me.

EDIT: I've also experimented with removing contents of "Motivewave Backups" from my home folder and removing contents of historical_data in Library/Motivewave. At first Removing contents of "Motivewave Backups" helped but it worked snappy for only 15minutes, again started failing on scrolling left and ultimatively returned back to it's unusable behavior.

Last edited:

nooris

I tried it out now, Mac mini M1, 8gb ram, tick 2000, imprint count unlimited, data feed CQG, and it loads in a second. I tried it out on a few instruments and all loaded quickly. Can you try creating a fresh new workspace and setup a volume imprint chart and try again (build it from scratch). It might also have something to do with your data feed (I assume from binance).

Thank you so much for this response! Actually setting the Volume Imprint count to unlimited improved it by a lot. I still wouldn't call it snappy, it still loads for some time when going back further in history (especially when using 4h time frame). I initially loaded 20 imprints on 30min and was increasing it to 800 in increments of 20 (10h). That could be the reason why now infinite works better but I won't judge it. It's kinda usable and I heard that Coinbase Pro has much better API limits so that will be my next step.

nooris

That probably means that you tinkered with VRAM and heap settings. Mine are set to default. Try setting them back to default and see what happens. It could be that the very large heap size is what is introducing delay.