IBKR Broker and dxfeed data

jj7777

Hello everyone!

Since the data/charts from IB are really unclean, not correct (unless I constantly refresh the chart manually) here on MotiveWave, I subscribed to and connected dxfeed today.

I always work with brackets. But since I connected dxfeed data, the brackets don't work at all. The orders also appear twice in the chart.

Anyone have any advice? Is the problem with the TWS? Or have I set something wrong?

luissantillana33

what are you trading? equities or futures? it might also be a setting in IBKR that you need to adjust possibly. i would make sure i have the latest update also as they are always fixing bugs & updating their software (IBKR)

jj7777

I am trading Futures.

I checked everything again, every setting. I can't see any error from my side. Updates are also up to date.

In fact, when I'm connected without dxfeed, everything works as usual. But then the charts/data are simply bad, unclean, incorrect.
When I switch to dxfeed, the orders appear twice and the brackets don't work.

This is a mystery to me. Does anyone else have an idea?

Thanks in advance.

ScottyA

Since the data/charts from IB are really unclean, not correct (unless I constantly refresh the chart manually) here on MotiveWave, I subscribed to and connected dxfeed today.

I always work with brackets. But since I connected dxfeed data, the brackets don't work at all. The orders also appear twice in the chart.

Anyone have any advice? Is the problem with the TWS? Or have I set something wrong?

Welcome @jj7777

It seems you have two issues: 1) unclean TWS charts and 2) brackets regarding dxfeed. Let's tackle one at a time...

A) Regarding TWS, can you provide a screenshot + an explanation of what you mean by "unclean?" I use TWS and have zero issues with Futures I trade (ES, NQ, and YM). My charts are super clean.

B) Perhaps also include which futures you're trading and the tools you use (i.e., Level 1 data-based Studies vs. Level 2 data-based Studies)? I only use Level 1 data-based Studies such as Volume. No Level 2 data-based things like the DOM or Volume Imprint using TWS.

Hope to figure this out together!

Antares66

I also had some trouble using dxfeed for stocks. Orders weren´t executed when trading off the chart so i had to click on transmit in tws (made no sense)
When using dxfeed for futures i haven´t had any problems. Are you using the last MW release? I remember MW made some bugfixes at the beginning when dxfeed was an option as an external data vendor. What do you mean with unclean TWS charts? I thought you are using MW charts with dxfeed and not the tws charts.

jj7777

Welcome @jj7777

It seems you have two issues: 1) unclean TWS charts and 2) brackets regarding dxfeed. Let's tackle one at a time...

A) Regarding TWS, can you provide a screenshot + an explanation of what you mean by "unclean?" I use TWS and have zero issues with Futures I trade (ES, NQ, and YM). My charts are super clean.

B) Perhaps also include which futures you're trading and the tools you use (i.e., Level 1 data-based Studies vs. Level 2 data-based Studies)? I only use Level 1 data-based Studies such as Volume. No Level 2 data-based things like the DOM or Volume Imprint using TWS.

Hope to figure this out together!

Hello @ScottyA that would be great if we could figure this out together!

A) Exactly. Problem 1 ( IB Data on MW Charts ) brought me to problem 2. I have to add that it is not only the bracket orders that appear twice in the chart, but all orders.

Regarding unclean Charts, sure, I'll show you in my next post, with screenshots.

B) I actually trade indices, specifically NQ or DAX. But it doesn't matter as all charts are equally affected, being displayed dirty. The faster the market moves, the messier it is. Only Level 1 for me too.

jj7777

1111.JPG

this is how it looked live

2222.JPG

after refreshing the chart manually, it was correct, clean, as it should be always.

MW 1.JPG

live

MV 2.JPG

after refreshing, no gap.

@ScottyA that's what I mean by dirty, unclean. There are gaps where there aren't any. Candle highs, lows, wicks that don't appear correctly. After the manual refresh (or clear date) everything is ok.

According to support, the problem is with the data that IB sends. I didn't believe that at first but it's true.

Then i tried an American VPN. No success with it. That's why I went to dxfeed. The data is then perfect, as I am used to and as it should be. But that led to problem 2.

I hope to have described everything in detail.

jj7777

2 more questions to exclude possible sources of error from my side.

1. Where can I see which MW version I have installed?

In December I got a link from support to test a recommended version to see if it would fix the IB Data problem.

2. Do I have to change the symbols in the watchlist for the dxfeed data?

ScottyA

According to support, the problem is with the data that IB sends. I didn't believe that at first but it's true.

Correct about IB-TWS data. I've experienced the same issue at times when comparing similar Futures instruments using IB data and also CQG data. There are certainly gaps and inaccurately drawn bars using TWS.

Then i tried an American VPN. No success with it. That's why I went to dxfeed. The data is then perfect, as I am used to and as it should be. But that led to problem 2.

Unfortunately, I cannot help you with dxfeed. I have history with Rithimic and IQFeed but landed the plane with CQG. I'll have to defer to others on this site to help here.

Curious, in what part of the world are you? I had a trading colleague who lives in Thailand and attempted to use both Rithmic and CQG. He had some issues with the server where he pulled data (from Singapore). I wondered if by providing your location, others who have had success near where you're based may provide additional input.

Cheers

jj7777

Correct about IB-TWS data. I've experienced the same issue at times when comparing similar Futures instruments using IB data and also CQG data. There are certainly gaps and inaccurately drawn bars using TWS.

didn't you say your IB data charts are clean?

Unfortunately, I cannot help you with dxfeed. I have history with Rithimic and IQFeed but landed the plane with CQG. I'll have to defer to others on this site to help here.

Curious, in what part of the world are you? I had a trading colleague who lives in Thailand and attempted to use both Rithmic and CQG. He had some issues with the server where he pulled data (from Singapore). I wondered if by providing your location, others who have had success near where you're based may provide additional input.

Cheers

I've only worked through CQG so far. However, this is not possible in combination with IBKR. Correct?

In the heart of Europe, Switzerland ;)

Well, what can I say? Hard to believe that nobody else has problems with the IB/dxfeed combo, I mean I'm the only one?

I hope that someone else chimes in and can help.

ScottyA

didn't you say your IB data charts are clean?

To clarify, I said I had zero issues with IB data (which was true until yesterday)***, but that was before clarifying what you meant by "clean."

The entire reason I use CQG is because I don't like the way IB handles futures data! 👍

I don't think "clean" accurately describes what's going on. A better way to look at it would be to understand the difference between tick-based data providers (like CQG, Rithmic, IQFeed, dxfeed, etc.) and non-tick-based providers (IB, TradeStation, TDA, etc.) and how that affects a chart in real-time, which is what you're experiencing.

I've only worked through CQG so far. However, this is not possible in combination with IBKR. Correct?

No sir, not correct. IB + CQG is my current setup, and it's a wonderful thing! ☺️

In the heart of Europe, Switzerland ;)

Love it, beautiful! Howdy from Dallas, Texas, USA!

*** TWS made some changes with the 10.19.1 STABLE build, which causes problems with historical data. MW Support is aware and working on a fix. ***

jj7777

To clarify, I said I had zero issues with IB data (which was true until yesterday)***, but that was before clarifying what you meant by "clean."

The entire reason I use CQG is because I don't like the way IB handles futures data! 👍

I don't think "clean" accurately describes what's going on. A better way to look at it would be to understand the difference between tick-based data providers (like CQG, Rithmic, IQFeed, dxfeed, etc.) and non-tick-based providers (IB, TradeStation, TDA, etc.) and how that affects a chart in real-time, which is what you're experiencing.

yes, my mistake in description. I wasn't aware of tick-based data affects a chart in real-time, but at the same time you can just refresh it and everything's fine again. As you say, a new experience for me.

No sir, not correct. IB + CQG is my current setup, and it's a wonderful thing! ☺️

how? So you have the combo MotiveWave/IB/CQG for futures? :cool:

Snowball greetings to Dallas :D

ScottyA

how? So you have the combo MotiveWave/IB/CQG for futures? :cool:

The short answer is yes, I use both IB and CQG data, but I'd like to provide a longer answer about how I use them.

In my current setup, I use IB exclusively for stocks and indexes, while I use CQG data exclusively for futures. At one time, I used them synchronously with my chart displaying CQG data and then triggering a trade in IB using the Symbol Mapping feature in MotiveWave. It's quite simple!

Right click on a chart, and select Edit Instrument. Navigate to Connections, and click on "Add" to access "Symbol Mapping."

Symbol Mapping.png

I used this setup to leverage accurate charts and execute trades in IB, what I understand you're trying to do. Let me also say the combination of these two data sources worked well because of the differing names of the underlying futures instruments (IB vs CQG: ES vs. EP and NQ vs. ENQ). There was no room for error in confusing which data source I was using.

My CQG data came through AMP, and I eventually changed my setup to its present form (separate data for stocks: IB and futures: AMP-CQG) because the fees were much cheaper with AMP.

If this doesn't make sense, please let me clarify.

Snowball greetings to Dallas :D

Define the word, "snowball." ;)

I wish we got a snowy winter here. It barely gets cold enough here to freeze but once or twice a year and only for a day or two. Sadly that's enough to shut down the city.

jj7777

@ScottyA I'm honest. I don't understand it 100%, my English isn't the best. But I understand the screenshot well.

And that leads me to the next question. What MW version are you using?
I don't have the "Connections" menu.

So if I understand correctly. I need a multiple brokers MW version. CQG data, for example through AMP and that's it. And this is how I can trade futures on/with IB, using CQG data/charts on MW correct?

Last edited:

jj7777

Define the word, "snowball." ;)

I wish we got a snowy winter here. It barely gets cold enough here to freeze but once or twice a year and only for a day or two. Sadly that's enough to shut down the city.

I prefer to leave it with definitions, in English haha

But I can tell you that it has been a long time since we had so little snow as this winter. Many ski areas stopped operating last month. Let's see what will happen in the next few weeks. If there is still snow, hopefully only for a short time ;)

ScottyA

I don't understand it 100%, my English isn't the best. But I understand the screenshot well.

Parlons Français?

What MW version are you using?

I use the Ultimate Edition.

So if I understand correctly. I need a multiple brokers MW version. CQG data, for example through AMP and that's it. And this is how I can trade futures on/with IB, using CQG data/charts on MW correct?

Yes, that's correct.