The built-in Cumulative Delta study: Repainting problem

HalTrader

Hello everyone,

I have observed that the built-in Cumulative Delta study is repainting. This means that the CV Open/High/Low/Close/Delta values for recent historical bars (after the study is uploaded on the chart) shown on the cursor data window (and calculated on DataSeries) are not consistent after I click on "Update" in the study settings, or when I open a new chart (same instrument) on another window and compare it with the previous one. This might be misleading and could lead to an incorrect estimation of absorption or exhaustion (divergence between Price and Cumulative Volume Delta, mostly used by Order Flow traders) since swing high or swing low values for historical Cumulative Volume Delta bars change once the study is updated.

I tested this in real-time on the 1-min timeframe on EPH24 (E-mini S&P 500 March contract). My broker is EdgeClear and my data provider is CQG. I have a second account at AMP with CQG data, and the repainting problem still occurs. I tested it using different configurations: The "Recalculate On Close" box unchecked or check, it still repaints.

Please find attached the screenshots. I have already contacted MotiveWave support. I just want to have your thoughts on this. Could you also please test it on your side to check whether your Cumulative Volume study values are repainting? If so, it would be great if you could also contact MotiveWave support and inform them about this repainting problem. I hope the repainting issue can be corrected.

Attachments

• img1.png
    img1.png
    216.5 KB · Views: 14
  • img2.png
    img2.png
    235.1 KB · Views: 13
  • img3.png
    img3.png
    221.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

HalTrader

Also, please find the attached images for "Recalculate On Close": checked

Attachments

• img4.png
    img4.png
    207.9 KB · Views: 9
  • img5.png
    img5.png
    233.3 KB · Views: 9
  • img6.png
    img6.png
    217.4 KB · Views: 8

Spin

Aha !! I've done work with this Study before, and I had a sneaky suspicion it had issues.

Thanks for that elaborate testing and analysis, @HalTrader ! (y)

I will not write MW about this right away, but might do so in the future, when I encounter the issue again during coding

igor.s

I personally don't use the study, but if the issue is reproducible I suggest sending it directly to MW support. Other users may benefit from the fix.