Live debugging with IDE possible?

Dennis

Hi there,

I built some studies with my IDE and use the ant build script to place them into MotiveWave.

The way of „debugging“ MotiveWave mentions in their documentation isn’t quite satisfying in my opinion: just placing a lot of different log-print methods and going over the output in the study log.

The much better way would be to use the debugging tools of my IDE, especially breakpoints and expression evaluation!
Is there a way to achieve this?
Maybe somehow telling MotiveWave to open a remote debugger port that I can connect to?

I hope I am not the only one wanting this and maybe someone found a solution :)

Kind regards

Aionda

Anyway debugging is no more state of the art. What is really missing are unit tests for all studies and strategies.

Dennis

If I try to add remote debugging vm options (like '-agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=*:48751') to my MotiveWave startup.conf, MotiveWave will no longer start at all. Am I missing something with the remote debugging options?
Is there a log file that could tell me why MotiveWave doesn't like to start with that vm argument?

Shtick Hustler

It would be great to have a debugging option (like NinjaScript in C#), but, alas--we don't.

I spend an inordinate amount of time coding pretty (painstakingly formatted) log file output, just so I don't get lost/confused while debugging.

I also get creative with some ASCII art (Google it) to make stuff 'pop'. Some examples:

Code:
d88b. 888d888888d888 .d88b. 888d888
d8P  Y8b888P"  888P"  d88""88b888P"   
88888888888    888    888  888888     
Y8b.    888    888    Y88..88P888     
 "Y8888 888    888     "Y88P" 888

And...

Code:
                   . ;.
                    .;
                     ;;.
                   ;.;;
                   ;;;;.
                   ;;;;;
                   ;;;;;
                   ;;;;;
                   ;;;;;
                   ;;;;;
                 ..;;;;;..
                  ':::::'
                    ':`

⬇️ Trend Change -- DOWN ⬇️

Aionda

Debugging is an outdated concept. We should develop test-driven. All Motivewave studies and strategies should at least include unit tests.

Dennis

Hi @Aionda, to say that "debugging is an outdated concept" is incomprehensible from my point of view. Even if we could write tests beforehand, tests can never cover a productive environment 100%. There will always be special cases that are not covered by a test, or that should work according to a test - but don't.

And for that we need an option to debug.

Aionda

Hi @Dennis, yes for special cases its of course useful. However, a large part of the debugging can be saved if we had a test coverage of at least 80% of the studies. At the moment, we don't have an integrated test framework.