Continuous Instrument

amirzayyani

can anyone explain how should we build a continuous Instrument on motivewave? I would like to have GC continuous

erp

MW backfills price history on most of the commonly traded futures (including /GC). https://docs.motivewave.com/knowledge-base/general/futures-contract-backfill

At least for me, using dxFeed for data, if I choose the front month on one of the contracts listed in that link, it will backfill price to a continuous contract, using whatever roll adjustment method I have set-up. Still learning the software here, but it seems to work reasonably well. Here's a link to continuous contracts in their user guide. https://docs.motivewave.com/guides/...version-6.0/continuous-contracts-and-rollover

MrSharky

As long there is a backfill its pretty easy.

Go to Configure - Instruments - Custom - Continuous Future - Chosse your base symbol, which is Gold
Symbol: @GC
Contract: Front contract
Trading Hours: CME - Metals
Title: GC - Continuous Contract
Description: GC - Continuous Contract
Minimum Tick: 0,1

Go next

And choose your roll method or go default

Finish, and you are done

Look up the symbol @GC in a chart and chart away. :)

amirzayyani

MW backfills price history on most of the commonly traded futures (including /GC). https://docs.motivewave.com/knowledge-base/general/futures-contract-backfill

At least for me, using dxFeed for data, if I choose the front month on one of the contracts listed in that link, it will backfill price to a continuous contract, using whatever roll adjustment method I have set-up. Still learning the software here, but it seems to work reasonably well. Here's a link to continuous contracts in their user guide. https://docs.motivewave.com/guides/...version-6.0/continuous-contracts-and-rollover
Thank you

amirzayyani

As long there is a backfill its pretty easy.

Go to Configure - Instruments - Custom - Continuous Future - Chosse your base symbol, which is Gold
Symbol: @GC
Contract: Front contract
Trading Hours: CME - Metals
Title: GC - Continuous Contract
Description: GC - Continuous Contract
Minimum Tick: 0,1

Go next

And choose your roll method or go default

Finish, and you are done

Look up the symbol @GC in a chart and chart away. :)
Thank you,.

MrSharky

Here you go oie, sorry cant send pictures in PMs

Go to Configure - Instruments - Custom - Continuous Future - Chosse your base symbol, which is NQ

1702310192660.png

1702310202999.png

Once you have finished and everything works you should be able to plot @NQ on a chart.

oie

Here you go oie, sorry cant send pictures in PMs

Go to Configure - Instruments - Custom - Continuous Future - Chosse your base symbol, which is NQ

View attachment 2127

View attachment 2128

Once you have finished and everything works you should be able to plot @NQ on a chart.
So this was the exact same process I did numerous times but I just did it again. When I now go to the little window on the chart and type in @NQ...As soon as I do that it puts in another symbol. It wont allow me to punch in the @ symbol. This is the same problem I keep encountering. do you know what that may be?

MrSharky

So this was the exact same process I did numerous times but I just did it again. When I now go to the little window on the chart and type in @NQ...As soon as I do that it puts in another symbol. It wont allow me to punch in the @ symbol. This is the same problem I keep encountering. do you know what that may be?
I just type NQ and it will fill in @NQ in the space

MrSharky

Mr. Sharky...I think you did it man. thank you so so much for your help. It is so greatly appreciated. Thank you again:):):):)

Glad I could help you, check out your instrument list so you dont have multiple entries of the same contract, since you have been doing this several times as you described.

list.png

Last edited:

oie

Hey. After you created a continuous contract did you have to redo your indicators? My profiles and other indicators all seem to be off.

MrSharky

Hey. After you created a continuous contract did you have to redo your indicators? My profiles and other indicators all seem to be off.
Not really, I usually open a clean chart and apply a template where I have all my indicators.