ABuy/Sell Signals to the Pivot Points Study

crudedude

I'd like signals added to the Pivot Points Study for when it crosses above or below R1, S1 and the Pivot.

Possible?

Spin

Very good suggestion @crudedude ! A lot of people have been asking for a 'Strategy / Studies Development Wizzard' that can do exactly that.

It is certainly possible now already.

You would need to make use of the SDK: SDK Programming Guide

The friendly people behind MotiveWave open-sourced all of the 275 studies, so you could -with some effort- alter the PivotPoints study to include Signals. You can find them here.

And you could even take it a step further and alter the tradeManager to automatically open / close trades and set Stops / PL's / trailingstops :)

crudedude

hi Spin,
Very good suggestion @crudedude ! A lot of people have been asking for a 'Strategy / Studies Development Wizzard' that can do exactly that.

The friendly people behind MotiveWave open-sourced all of the 275 studies, so you could -with some effort- alter the PivotPoints study to include Signals. You can find them here.

And you could even take it a step further and alter the tradeManager to automatically open / close trades and set Stops / PL's / trailingstops :)

@Spin You read my mind. 😀 That is my plan. I've had a play with the SDK and know a little Java, but I just need the template with the signals to get started. I'm recruiting some coders now to help, thanks for your reply.

Johnedoe

Hey Spin....
Were you able to fix trade manager?
If so would you attach the file in the user contributed strategies thread?
Thanks.
William

Spin

Small announcement:

I have a 'Proof of Concept' that does exactly what OP wants:

There are still some loose ends in my code, having to do with the firing of signals and the fact that markers get erased when the Study calls "clearFigures".

No idea why signals aren't fired yet and no idea how I'm going to fix the 'clearFigures'-issue (I could obviously erase the 'clearFigures', but then every Support/Resistance Line is drawn dozens of times and the 'fill' between two lines as well, taking away all opacity. Ugly result on a screen !)

Work continues ... 🤓

Spin

(another) small announcement:

All issues are resolved, and I even added the functionality to draw all the markers from the past trading day when you open up MW in the morning, so that you can see what price already did while you were still sleeping :LOL:

There are different markers for
  • 'bounces' (price went over a certain Pivot Point, but closed on the same side; small purple arrows)
  • 'crosses' (bar opened on one side of the line, and closed on the other; purple arrows, with white outline)
  • 'crosses in the wrong direction' (i.e.: diving below a resistance line, or climbing above a support line; orange arrows)
Obviously, you can turn all these on or off, and decide the kind of marker and size, color, ...

I am thinking about also coding a 'Plus-version', one that includes a 'price action' functionality: price crossed a line, but you only get a signal after one or two positive bars after that (so you immediately have confirmation of the breakout, and are more certain it's not a 'fakeout')

Does that seem like an interesting addition ?
:)