6.9.2 Update Loop

nooris

It is truly astounding that they have not addressed this issue yet. I am genuinely reconsidering my usage of this platform (even though I just bought an extra year of support). I just can't think of any excuse, other than that they don't care.

sragone

The problem with this release is that OandaV20 connection has disappeared. I had to reinstall 6.9.2 until it gets fixed.

HUB

The problem with this release is that OandaV20 connection has disappeared. I had to reinstall 6.9.2 until it gets fixed.
i made the mistake of installing 6.9.3 and I don't have the 6.9.2 anymore. hindsight should have made a backup. now Im stuck with 6.9.3 and no oanda until this gets fixed. I sent a message to tech support, but just got an auto-respond email.

HUB

That’s not how it works. V20 from oanda is offered.
Nothing has changed, other then this update having a bug that doesn’t have the connection.

sragone

You may be correct, but here is the copy of the e-mail response received from MotiveWave when I asked them about the OandaV20 drop...

Oanda has informed us that they will no longer support MotiveWave as of last week. Did you receive a notification from them? Here is what other users have reported receiving from them:

CleanShot 2024-04-22 at 10.37.40@2x.png

Even though it may be still running, we do not know how much longer so we have discontinued support for it.
You could try reverting to our previous version and see if it still works.

Here are links to the previous version of MotiveWave:

Windows: https://downloads.motivewave.com/builds/514/motivewave_setup6.9.2.exe
macOS: https://downloads.motivewave.com/builds/514/motivewave6_9_2.pkg
macOS M1: https://downloads.motivewave.com/builds/514/motivewave_m1_6_9_2.pkg
Linux: https://downloads.motivewave.com/builds/514/motivewave_6.9.2_amd64.deb
Release Notes: https://downloads.motivewave.com/builds/514/Release Notes v6.9.2.pdf

Best,
Joe

I'm not sure what's going on at this moment.

Reactions: HUB

HUB

No, they haven’t replied yet.
That is a strange reply. Now I wonder if oanda is going to scrap the v20 protocol totally. Multicharts uses it as well as other clients. The v20 documentation gives example code and is accessible via python, java ect. The whole point of providing an API is to allow programmable access to the brokerage. It’s something that a brokerage would want.

Last edited:

sragone

Perhaps all Oanda wants everyone to use is TradingView, MT4, or Oanda's own proprietary platforms. I certainly don't know why Oanda would drop the v20, but perhaps there's another API they're going to release. I'm in e-mail talks with Oanda now and at first the people at frontdesk@oanda.com seemed unaware as to what is going on. If I hear anything, I'll let you know.

HUB

Thanks, maybe we can figure out what the situation or plan is. So we can decide if we like that arrangement, and look for alternative brokers or platforms if needed.

sragone

I just got in a too bad, so sad argument chat with one of their representatives. They're only supporting MT4, TradingView or Multicharts. Okay then, time to close my account and move to another broker, I'm looking at IB, Forex.com, or maybe even someone else but I'll have to see what's out there, works with MW and accepts US citizens. I hate when I have to do this. It feels like that FXCM fiasco back in Feb 2019.

Reactions: HUB

sragone

She didn't say that and even alluded that the API was still in effect. I was told that because of "regulations", MotiveWave is no longer being offered. I don't know what regulations she's referring to, but I was informed that they couldn't give me the reason. I'm sick and tired of the cloak and dagger responses from some of these companies. I instructed them to shut my account down. Perhaps I'll just forget about FX and stick with futures.

HUB

Yes, the ambiguous “regulations”. Whose regulations? Anyways seems that Oanda is limiting the types of client software that it supported in the past. I plan on closing the account.

Last edited:

nooris

Unsolicited advice. FX futures are better than spot FX. The brokers are better, and the centralized exchange is a whole lot better than a bucket shop. Full order book, full order flow data, no broker spread, no overnight swap, etc...

Last edited:

HalTrader

Unsolicited advice. FX futures are better than spot FX. The brokers are better, and the centralized exchange is a whole lot better than a bucket shop. Full order book, full order flow data, no broker spread, no overnight swap, etc...
Totally agree with @nooris. There are no huge spreads or overnight swap fees for forex futures. Additionally, some forex brokers b-book the majority of traders, which is an awful and unprofessional practice. At least, when you trade forex futures, you can be sure that you are not getting b-booked by your broker, since all your orders are directly sent to CME.