Set session start and end times for OHLC indicator

funk101

I'm a Java newbie and I'm currently modifying the OHLC study:
The OHLC study has presets for sessions. Reg, Chart, and Ext sessions. How would I go about modifying the study to accept session start/end times? ie: New York 9:30-16:15, London 3:00 - 11:00, etc.
setStartime() or something?
Not sure of Java syntax yet, I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction. ;-)
Cheers.

Spin

I would:

1. First ask a user for a Tiimeframe (somewhere in "Initialize", by using a 'TimeframeDescriptor'):
    Java:
    asianSession.addRow(new TimeFrameDescriptor(ASIAN_TIMEFRAME, get("Asian Session"), 01 * 60 * 60 * 1000, 9 * 60 * 60 * 1000, true, false));
  2. Use that Timeframe in one of my functions (or in CalculateValues ?) to define integers (for barIndexes) or longs (for strfTimes) for both the start- and endTimes of that Timeframe
  3. Use Java-math kungfu to have the Study iterate over all bars from startIndex to endIndex or iterate over all bars, but only take into account bars that start between startTime and endTime

EDIT: you will probably need this line too, for debugging:
Java:
DateFormat format = new SimpleDateFormat("dd/MM/yyyy HH:mm:ss");

;)

Last edited:

funk101

How does MW loop? Does every study loop every bar by default? In Sierra, you have to set this explicitly with "AutoLoop=1".

Spin

danielputra

Hi Funk101, it seems to you looking e.g. for the opening range like the first 18 bars of the US open and related measured moves. I have coded such a study and called it "Indicate Time Frame". You can change the 18-bar range on my study via the start and end date fields and that way get the full US session too. It as options to show the midpoint and/or swap out the high/low with the highest close / lowest close.

You can find a link and guide for my studies at: https://support.motivewave.com/forum/index.php?threads/al-brooks-price-action-trading-studies.1214/
Each study has its own screenshot and explanation in the guide and the source code so you can further customise it to your needs.