Trail Stop after hitting Profit Target

In5ight

Long shot but does anyone know how to do this? The breakdown would be:

1. Before price hits target, stop is static (does not trail)
2. After price hits target, begin to trail the stop

I've used Exit Strategies for awhile but can't seem to figure out how to do this. Is it possible to add this feature if it's not available?

dcoils101

I've been emailing them about this exact concept and if it were realized then I could see no better strategy for trading any ticker. It's a set it and forget it mode. If you're right about the direction, then your gains can be much larger than with only a stop and limit order. How many times have you seen your target price get steamrolled through only to tick several points beyond it? It's painful. Why can't we enter a manual trailing stop by itself as easily as a normal stop? Why must we jump through hoops modifying orders to create a trail outside of a bracket? Why isn't TRAIL simply an option on the dropdown list for order types? I can hold down ctrl and then enter a trailing order. Maybe that's how I want to enter? Maybe I put a trailing stop above and below the current price so that it follows it and enters whenever it moves sharply in one direction. Maybe that's a great way to catch swings. Currently It isn't feasible on MotiveWave to my knowledge. I just want to be able to click on the DOM and have a trail order. I know it could easily be implemented tonight.

In5ight

Ah what a pity. Yeah this would be an amazing feature to have, particularly since NJ already has it.

dcoils101

I wasn't aware that NInja trader had that feature. But I don't like their interface at all. So it doesn't really matter to me.

dcoils101

I figured out how to do it. You have to set up an exit strategy with auto breakeven. Set your stops to trail.

Once auto-breakeven is hit, it will move to that spot and continue to trail, the only problem is that it is still trailing by the number of ticks you started out at.

Ideally, i would want it to only trail it by 1-2 points after breakeven is triggered.