Tradestation stops updating and getting error now and then... "Access Token has expired"

Optionable

I switched over to Tradestation after TDA went away because of Schwab. For the most part I like it better except that around 11am/Noon and again around 4pm, it will often just stop updating and I have to restart Motivewave. Also, a few times a day, I will click on a chart and it will give me an error saying "Access Token has expired" and I have to restart Motivewave for that too. I did not have this problem with TDA

I have the latest version of Motivewave (6.8.4). I am running on Linux (Zorin Core 16.3).

Thanks!

science

Do you mean that you switched over to Motive Wave from Tradestation?
I have the same issue using a FXCM demo account. I leave MotiveWave running on macOS all the time, but every now and then the charts stop updating and no new bars are printed.

This seems like a major blocker to purchasing.

Optionable

Hi, and thanks for the response No, I mean I did use Motivewave to connect to TD Ameritrade, but when Schwab took over that connection stopped working so now I connect to TradeStation with Motivewave. And sometimes it just randomly stops updating the charts. Sometimes it stops updating a single chart and not all of them.

science

Sounds like a similar issue.

I've just come back to the charts and woke the laptop up, and now my charts are 3.5 hours behind the current time. No bars have been printed at all. One workaround seems to be to change the timeframe, which triggers a screen update, and then change the TF back to the one I want. It's a bit naff.

A fix would be highly appreciated as MW is growing on me.

v6.8.4
java version 20.01 (64 bit)
macOS

Optionable

I went ahead and paid up for the Standard Edition since it's Black Friday week. It's annoying but it doesn't happen often and I don't day trade. Just being able to set indicators to specific time frames makes it worth it to me. :)

Last edited:

science

This is a repeatable error that makes MW unusable for me.
I've tried creating a new Workspace and demo account with FOREX.com but that has a similar issue and the bars stop updating as it has a problem 'finding' some hostname. However, disconnecting and reconnecting seems to fix the issue which makes me think that MW is experiencing transiative network errors and treating them as hard fails. Am I missing something? Getting up to date data is an essential feature.

I've also tried OANDA but after signing up for a new Demo account in the UK region I can't authorise the connection from MotiveWave. I don't know if this is a region problem or OANDA being opaque about what steps I need to do to get an external app authorised.
I also discovered that there seems to be an 'issue' with the Fibonacci tools giving different readings when in semi-log scale versus linear. This would need more exploration to understand what it is doing.

science

It seems to be working fine after upgrading to macOS Sonoma. Purchased Ultimate edition so if it happens again, I can get tech support involved.

science

This is still happening occasionally on macOS Sonoma 14.1.2 (updated today).

The 22 min (custom) chart stopped updating, but the 30 min and 20 min showed another bar and then stopped updating. I have switched on the 'time remaining on the current bar' in order to detect this. The countdown gets to zero and then stops there.

I'll have to find out how to raise this with tech support on the weekend.