Trade Manager

Johnedoe

Trade manager has some great potential and it works fine on the YM.....

However No the ES it does not adjust to ticks... it sets points instead so at the 1 setting for the exit it is a $50 trade... This needs to be corrected for ticks... also in the setup window it is using pips... Which isn't a big deal even though it is an FX related price term..

In CL 1 pip exit is $1000 as a minimum trade size.... Not very acceptable.

Anyway I can't imagine this being a tough fix so I would appreciate it being corrected.

Thank's for your attention on this.

Johnedoe

Sure would like to see this fixed.................
It has very good potential and if your gonna put studies or strategies out there they should be functional without us having to hire the fix from an outside source...
So please fix Trade Manager?

MotiveWave_Jason

Staff member
Hello,

This has been added to our feature request sheet, thank you for the feedback.

Our strategies are meant to be examples of what can be done with the SDK, it's intended to be modified via the SDK.

Regards.

Johnedoe

And that is just wonderful for all of us that have no coding knowledge.......
Thank you for your reply.

Johnedoe

Look.... I really like Motivewave as a trading platform and it has worked very well for me connecting to IB...
The trades and fills have been excellent....
BUT I really want the Trade manager to work properly and feel that if you are going to add features they really should work.
I have had a strategy altered before by a programmer and for the most part it works but it was money that I really should not have to have spent on an included strategy.....
I am Not a programmer and the likelihood of me at this point in my life becoming one is extremely rare....
So I would be extremely grateful if this was taken care of in house.

I appreciate you guys and the hard work you do..... Really.

Thank you for helping out.

Spin

Yes, I did look into it. And yes, I think I know what the problem is. And yes, I believe I can fix it. But the good news ends there :(

BUT: no matter what I try, I can not seem to get a second TradeManager to run in MW. I created a 'debugging' version to check whether what I believe is the issue is indeed the issue.
I exported it as a .jar (like I did / do with countless Studies & Strategies), import it into MW (again, like I did / do with countless Studies & Strategies) but it simply will not show up in the 'Strategies'-menu. (n)

When I ANT-compile it in my IDE (I use Eclipse, the one suggested in MW's SDK programming guide), it DOES show up in my Strategy Menu. But obviously that does not help others that face this issue.
(I could off course send them the source code, but then they would need to setup the entire IDE-environment & compile themselves. That seems like overkill. After all, the 'export to .jar'-functionality was explicitly created for the no-stress-no-hassle distribution of Studies / Strategies.)

Anyway, this is another problem where I bump into the edges of my knowledge, so time for the MW-people to look into it. I will mail them (there are a few other 'open' threads' on this forum where we wait for a MW-answer)

Again: Patience is a virtue :)

Last edited:

Johnedoe

Thank you for the update Spin...
I absolutely agree... MW should fix this and I hope they do rather than set it on a back burner or remove it in their next update.....
TradeManager has some great potential and it would be a shame if this were lost.

MotiveWave_Joe

Staff member
Hi Spin,

Is there anyway you can send me both the .jar file and source code so that I can try it here?

You can send the files to support or if you find it easier, post them here.

Thanks.

Johnedoe

Thank you Joe for pursuing the fix of this strategy.
I knew I could count on you.

Stay healthy and thank you again for your help.

Spin

// For those following this thread: I mailed all the resources and comments to MW.

// Stay tuned ! ;)

Johnedoe

Also Thank you spin for your efforts in getting this corrected...
Much appreciated.

Spin

@motivewave, @MotiveWave_Jason, @MotiveWave_Joe I've sent a follow-up mail just now. It seems like you've got a new (automated ?) mail-handler/responder in place, so I just post here to make sure you received it :)

In short: the "export to .jar"-issues still persist :cry:

Spin

I (finally) managed to export a testing / debugging version to .jar.

Please follow these steps and post a screenshot of the results (I need more info regarding different MW-versions & brokers):
  • Download the .txt file attached to this post and change it's extension to .jar (this forum does not allow the upload of .jar-files @MotiveWave_Joe : you might want to change that)
  • import the .jar in MW (Strategy menu - All strategies - Import)
  • Attach the newly imported strategy to a chart (Strategy menu, VB6.systems-TESTING, VB6's TradeManager V1)
  • make sure you select the simulated account (I feel no need to mess with your hard earned cash ;))
  • open up the study log: View menu - display - study log
  • press 'activate' in the VB6´s TradeManager Window:
  • take a screenshot of the lines that appear in the study log:
  • Post the screenshot here.
As clearly shown by my testrun above, the PointSize differs from the TickSize by a factor 10. I believe this is the root cause of all this weird behavior.

Attachments

• 1599038242553.png
    1599038242553.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 1
  • TM_VB6.txt
    43.7 KB · Views: 19

Johnedoe

I got your update installed but the problem of tick size still persists.
Also I can't seem to find the study log you are showing.

Spin

I got your update installed but the problem of tick size still persists.
Also I can't seem to find the study log you are showing.
Perfectly possible that the 'TickProblem" still persists: I only added 'debugging'-code, and made no effort (yet) to correct the issue :)

The Study log can be found here:

Johnedoe

OK. I'll see if I can get that for you but not tonight....Aw heck... Only took a minute now that I know where to look.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 12.26.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 12.26.20 AM.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Spin

Great, thanks a lot @Johnedoe !! (y)

That teaches us the following:
  • you too have a discrepancy between TickSize and Pointsize (which is not abnormal - the REAL problem here is that MW's TradeManager uses them inconsistently)
  • You have a different factor between TickSize & PointSize: mine is 10 to 1, yours 4 to 1. Other people will probably see even different values (depending on Instrument, broker, market, ...)
So, two things will have to be done here:
  • correct MW's code so it ALWAYS uses either PointSize or TickSize (personally, I think TickSize will be the better option here, because it will allow for finer granularity)
  • add code to MW's TradeManager so that individual traders can discover and eventually adjust their "Point to Tick-ratio"
I will look into it (but I may fail, no promises here!). Please allow me a day or two :)

Last edited:

Johnedoe

No problem at all Spin.....
Glad what little I did there helped.
I will check it against CL and YM shortly. That log I posted was the ES.

And I agree completely trade manager should ALWAYS use tick size.

Johnedoe

Here are a couple screen shots of this mornings test on the ES.
TM is still using points instead of ticks.

Here are also the entry exit settings that I used. I'm not using the ATR stops or any of those related settings. Using it at it's most basic level.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 3.15.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 3.15.26 AM.png
    117.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 3.17.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 3.17.03 AM.png
    78.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 3.31.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 3.31.47 AM.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 3.32.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 3.32.00 AM.png