ToS Data Replacement

Dojidog

Running MW with ToS data. The intraday charts are riddled with corrupt data. Time to change. Anyone here using the MW supported data vendors supporting intraday data they find acceptable without being charged and arm & leg? Thanks

crudedude

Not sure what you are trading. I trade mostly futures and use CQG via TradeFutures4less.com. Works great.

I use Interactive Brokers for Equities. Their non-pro fees are cheap start around $15/month, bit more if you want level 2. You need to open a personal account though. If you open a company account you're forced to go pro and it's about 10 time more. Here's the link to pricing https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=14193

Hope that helps.

Leatherneck

Crudedude, how is your ib data when it streams through motivewave. For me some symbols theres days when bars are so off its almost funny. I quess I'm just wondering if it's just happening to me

crudedude

@Leatherneck
I've since moved my equities trading to a different broker and no longer use MW for equities so I can't comment. Although I'd prefer to us MV, my new broker doesn't have the API connection. But I trade futures mostly anyway and use MW daily without any data issues via CQG.

heispark

If you are serious trader, you should use CQG. No one can beat CQG. I trade only /NQ and pay only $5/month to CQG (currencies & us indices data only). Markup per trade is also cheap. My broker is AMP Futures. TOS's data is crap and commission is ripoff. Their futures trading cost (two-way) is about 50% more expensive than AMP Futures.

Last edited:

ScottyA

Re: Data
If you're day trading futures, the ONLY data feeds you should use need to be tick-based and not "snapshot" providers. I've tried CQG, Rithmic, and DTN-IQFeed. Each has strengths. CQG is mostly reliable and cheap. Rithmic is similar in reliability but also provides Level III, full-book depth at a little higher cost. IQ Feed is in IMO the absolute best in reliability and quality. The drawback for retail traders is the price tag, which might be described as an "arm and a leg," but for professional traders, the price is right in line with what we already pay.

Data providers like IB, TOS/TDA and TradeStation provide "SNAPSHOT" data. Also using IB, the data gets wonky on certain instruments. After many convos with IB and MW Support, this is an IB API issue.

Re: Brokers
Like @hiespark said about TDA, the comms are expensive and worth switching brokers. And like @crudedude said, IB is the way to go if you trade both Futures and Equities.

Full-disclosure: I now chart in MotiveWave using CQG data from my AMP account and execute in IB. It's a cool setup in MW to be able to do so. Futures comms are cheaper in AMP than IB, but I also trade equities and therefore need IB.

Solidus

Data providers like IB, TOS/TDA and TradeStation provide "SNAPSHOT" data.

This is not correct in the case of TradeStation. The standard data option is tick -by-tick, utilizing non-aggressor trades. (So more trades than the aggressor trades which most default to. The confusion probably comes from the optional cpu reduction algorithms they have. If enabled, the first tick at a price arrives immediately, then additional ticks at the same price arrive at earlier of a)end of second, or )price at a different tick.

ScottyA

This is not correct in the case of TradeStation. The standard data option is tick -by-tick, utilizing non-aggressor trades. (So more trades than the aggressor trades which most default to. The confusion probably comes from the optional cpu reduction algorithms they have. If enabled, the first tick at a price arrives immediately, then additional ticks at the same price arrive at earlier of a)end of second, or )price at a different tick.

Good to know! Thank you @Solidus

DITB

@ScottyA how do you get IB to recognize the symbols CQG is sending via MW? I’ve just set this up (CQG data via AMP, but I also want to trigger at my IB account), and I’m not sure whose tech support to talk to! But it sounds like you have it set up. Thanks.

ScottyA

Absolutely! It's incredibly simple. Be sure to login to both IB and CQG! ;)

1) Pull up a chart using CQG, and for this example, ENQM20.

2) Right click on the chart to select Edit Instrument

3) Go to the Connections tab and select Add

4) The Symbol Mapping box opens. Select the corresponding instrument from IB, so NQM0.

I'm not sure how you trade, using a DOM, the Trade Panel, or on a chart. For the DOM, make sure you have the CQG symbol pulled up, but select your IB account for execution. Same with the Trade Panel.

If you trade from the CQG chart, be sure that your IB account is selected when placing a New Order. Until you do this, the order will not reflect on the chart. In fact, if you have that chart open in different places, you have to make sure each chart has this setup to reflect your order.

I highly recommend testing this first by logging into your IB Paper Account (instead of your Live Account) so that you may see if it works.

Hope this helps!

parthpat

Absolutely! It's incredibly simple. Be sure to login to both IB and CQG! ;)

1) Pull up a chart using CQG, and for this example, ENQM20.

2) Right click on the chart to select Edit Instrument

3) Go to the Connections tab and select Add

View attachment 231

4) The Symbol Mapping box opens. Select the corresponding instrument from IB, so NQM0.

I'm not sure how you trade, using a DOM, the Trade Panel, or on a chart. For the DOM, make sure you have the CQG symbol pulled up, but select your IB account for execution. Same with the Trade Panel.

If you trade from the CQG chart, be sure that your IB account is selected when placing a New Order. Until you do this, the order will not reflect on the chart. In fact, if you have that chart open in different places, you have to make sure each chart has this setup to reflect your order.

I highly recommend testing this first by logging into your IB Paper Account (instead of your Live Account) so that you may see if it works.

Hope this helps!

How do I login to CQG and IB simultaneously? I am not seeing Connections tab.

ScottyA

On the main screen after MotiveWave launch, click on Options > Modify > "Add Connection"

You'll need both IB and AMP/CQG running in the same Instance. I don't know about versions. You'll need to look that up

Antares66

Would it be possible to use Tos data for charting and execute orders on IB when using MW pro edition?