Retina display Chart resolution

duplahun

Dear Developers,

It should be nice to use Retina Display resolution capabilities for "Save As Image" function. My MacBook Air (M1) has Retina Dsiplay with high resolution. When I use Save As Image function it save the chart only the scaled down resolution (1438 × 652) not with native resolution. On 4K external display this saved image is blurry and not sharp.
Thank you for your listening. Last but not least I like your software very much.

kind regards,
Laszlo

ScottyA

It should be nice to use Retina Display resolution capabilities for "Save As Image" function. My MacBook Air (M1) has Retina Dsiplay with high resolution. When I use Save As Image function it save the chart only the scaled down resolution (1438 × 652) not with native resolution. On 4K external display this saved image is blurry and not sharp.

I use a similar computer purchased brand new this year: a MacBook Air (M1) with Retina Display. See:

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 11.26.07 AM.png

In your System Preferences > Displays, is the Resolution set to "Default for Display" or to "Scaled?" The scaled setting has an option to make the resolution higher.

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 11.30.39 AM.png

duplahun

Thank you ScottyA,
Yes I know this. The native resolution is much higher than UI looksc like. I don't use Scaled settings. So UI looks like 1440x900.
Try make a screenshot with command+shift+5 Take a full screen capture and see its resolution. After that use Save As Image function in MW and see its resolution :)

ScottyA

After that use Save As Image function in MW and see its resolution :)

Trying to help a fellow Mac user out, so more info would be helpful.

As I understand what you're saying: within MW you "Save As Image" for a chart (that covers how much of the screen?), and then you pull up the Chart Pic on an external 4k monitor that's now blurry? Help me help you.

The reason is that there are other Mac Users with a similar setup having a similar issue "blurry and not sharp" screens.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252217807

Let's narrow this down.

duplahun

Trying to help a fellow Mac user out, so more info would be helpful.

As I understand what you're saying: within MW you "Save As Image" for a chart (that covers how much of the screen?), and then you pull up the Chart Pic on an external 4k monitor that's now blurry? Help me help you.

The reason is that there are other Mac Users with a similar setup having a similar issue "blurry and not sharp" screens.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252217807

Let's narrow this down.
I think the root cause is that MW don't use native display resolution in Save As Image function. Therefore the "low" resolution MW image on 4K display in full screen isn't sharp. But when I use macOS its own screen capture tool (cmd+shift+5) it's capture in high resolution.
Maybe Java and Retina Display "issue"?

duplahun

I upload two files. One with MW Save As Image and one with macOS screen capture. Please examine these images.

Attachments

• COTIUSDT - Primary Analysis - Sep-27 1936 PM (5 min).png
    COTIUSDT - Primary Analysis - Sep-27 1936 PM (5 min).png
    77.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 19.37.08.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 19.37.08.png
    905.6 KB · Views: 15

ScottyA

I upload two files. One with MW Save As Image and one with macOS screen capture. Please examine these images.
First thing I did was crop the Mac screen shot to where it's comparing apple to apples. Here are the size differences:

MW Save As: 1438 x 653 @ 72 pixels/inch

Mac screen shot CROP: 1664 x 758 @ 96 pixels/inch

I zoomed in on my Retina display, and the difference didn't bother me. Try emailing Support directly, and please report back what they say.

duplahun

I don't understand why did you crop the images...
Please see these new attachements about the two pics resolution.
Belive me, on 4K external display the lower resolution pics from MW is not sharp as the larger resolution image is.
I don't think this is a bug but developers should use retina display native resolution for better graphics quality.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 22.26.04.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 22.26.04.png
    369 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 22.26.06.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 22.26.06.png
    379.2 KB · Views: 4

ScottyA

I don't understand why did you crop the images...

The images you posted are not the same, so they will obviously have different sizes. Therefore, you're not comparing image sizes properly. See here... everything in red is not included in the MW "Save As"

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 19.37.08.png

I don't think this is a bug but developers should use retina display native resolution for better graphics quality.

I believe you there is a resolution difference and posted as much. Scroll up and notice the pixels/inch. That's a higher resolution.

Like I said before, I encourage you to email MotiveWave Support directly. Please let me know what they say!