Other indicators on Indicators

Omegaknight

I was trying to see which indicators I could apply onto others, and so far the only thing I have been able to do is give a moving average a different input besides the chart data. I can't do, for instance, a MACD off of the ATR, or a stochastic off of OBV, or a momentum off cumulative delta. Is it possible to give the indicators more options, to be able to do things like this?

heispark

Any update on this? Sierra Chart has very powerful "Indicators on Indicators" feature. Even ThradingView has more features than MW......... :(

rctrader

You can by superimpose studies on top of each other by:
1. opening the study preferences
2. Click on the Options Tab
3. Click on the Dropdown menu next to the word Graph
4. Choose the study from the drop down that you want the current study super imposed on to

Attachments

• Xnip2020-09-03_13-38-03.jpg
    Xnip2020-09-03_13-38-03.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Xnip2020-09-03_13-39-58.jpg
    Xnip2020-09-03_13-39-58.jpg
    666.5 KB · Views: 46

Omegaknight

superimposing is not what I am asking though. With your examples, I would want the data that ADX is being calculated off of to be the values of the Swami Stochastics. Clearing up space on the chart by adding more than one indicator into a window is great, and you can do it with all indicators that I am aware of, but you can't change the actual data that the indicator is working off of, except for moving averages.

MotiveWave_Leigh

Staff member
MotiveWave does have Indicator on Indicator. It is available in the Professional and Ultimate Editions.

Indicator on Indicator allows you to:
  • Use one indicator as an input for another. For example, apply a Moving Average to a Stochastic Indicator, or even to another Moving Average.
  • Can be applied on the Price Chart or Study Plots.

Omegaknight

Maybe I am doing something wrong then? I can't seem to get to any other type of indicator except for a moving average to take an input other than the charts symbol. It's not selectable inside the input dropdown. Here are pictures of what I see within the Ultimate Edition.

Moving Average:413

MACD:

Momentum:

You can see all 3 are in the ATR plot, but MACD and Momentum can not use the ATR as an input, only the EMA can.

MotiveWave_Leigh

Staff member
Instructions are in our User Guide in section 3.20.3.1 Overlay Plot as follows:
When you create an overlay study, by default it will use the Price Plot. Optionally, you can choose one of the existing plots to display the study. When you change the graph for the study, it will change the input options. For example, if you want to display a simple moving average (SMA) on an RSI study plot, you would choose the RSI(C,14) plot from the Options tab. When you choose this, the Input field (under the General tab) will be updated to reflect the inputs available from the RSI plot.

Please see that section of our User Guide for more details: https://www.motivewave.com/guides/MotiveWave_Users_Guide.pdf

heispark

When you create an overlay study, by default it will use the Price Plot. Optionally, you can choose one of the existing plots to display the study. When you change the graph for the study, it will change the input options. For example, if you want to display a simple moving average (SMA) on an RSI study plot, you would choose the RSI(C,14) plot from the Options tab. When you choose this, the Input field (under the General tab) will be updated to reflect the inputs available from the RSI plot.

Please see that section of our User Guide for more details: https://www.motivewave.com/guides/MotiveWave_Users_Guide.pdf
Try put ATR and then try to overlay MACD on it. ATR is NOT in the available input source list of MACD. ATR is only one example. There are many indicators not supported.

Omegaknight

That's what I am doing, and I am not getting the option to pick a different input on the indicators. That's why I put the pictures in. They show that doing an indicator of an indicator is only working for a moving average, not any other indictor that I have found. Can't even do an RSI of an RSI, when you follow the directions on the users manual.

As you can see here, I circled where the EMA has the RSI as an input, but the RSI can't get the RSI as an input:

MotiveWave_Jason

Staff member
Hello All,

ATR will be an available input for MACD in version 6.2.5.

If there are any other indicator on indicator scenarios that aren't working, please let us know.

Regards.

Omegaknight

Hello All,

If there are any other indicator on indicator scenarios that aren't working, please let us know.

Regards.

Jason did you see the pictures I posted? Practically every indicator except moving average currently can NOT take another indicator as an input.

Omegaknight

Hello All,

Regards.
Hi Jason,

Any way you guys can take what you did to MACD and apply that to ALL indicators? Right now, Moving Averages and MACD are the only two indicators that can actually take another indicator as the input when you move the indicator over to another graph.

Thanks.

moe

i have professional edition and i do not have this option ...does it come with higher edition?