On-chart volume hides price candle

nooris

The default behavior of volume is to hide price candles. What makes it worse is that they are the same color. So when prices are crashing you sometimes cannot see the candle. The solution I've been using is adjusting the bottom insert pixels of each chart. Its not the best solution, and it kind of defeats the purpose of having an on-chart volume which is to maximize the price chart area.

I can't be the only one who finds this default design very annoying. How do you deal with it? What settings do you change? Do you change the default?

Donovan2580

Any way you can take a screenshot so we can see what you are referring to? :)

nooris

Any way you can take a screenshot so we can see what you are referring to? :)
Certainly, here's NQ right now (default setting without me changing the bottom insert.) It's not a perfect example because the volume is not too high today, but there are instances where much more of the price candles is hidden behind price.

Attachments

• ENQZ23 - Untitled - Sep-26 2122 PM (5 min).png
    ENQZ23 - Untitled - Sep-26 2122 PM (5 min).png
    103.4 KB · Views: 13

Donovan2580

Certainly, here's NQ right now (default setting without me changing the bottom insert.) It's not a perfect example because the volume is not too high today, but there are instances where much more of the price candles is hidden behind price.

Ahh - I see. I have never ran into this because my plots in a different window.

Would it be acceptable to just put it on it's own subgraph like this? Or perhaps that is what you meant when you said "kind of defeats the purpose of having an on-chart volume"?

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

nooris

Thanks @itradefutures and @Donovan2580 . Believe it or not you can't really change the colors of the volume bars different from the price bars. When you do that the coloring of the volume bars is based on relation to the previous volume bar, and not based on the price bar, which is crazy (picture attached, notice how an up candle will have a red bar and vice versa). So the only solutions are the subgraph or bottom insert. That is just poor design motive wave.

Attachments

• ENQZ23 - Untitled - Sep-28 2022 PM (15 min).png
    ENQZ23 - Untitled - Sep-28 2022 PM (15 min).png
    48.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 9.02.22 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 9.02.22 PM.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 7