MW Linux Version

igor.s

Thanks for delivering the Linux version. This is a great alternative to use on pc laptops. Anyone who has Windows 10 pc/laptop I highly recommend to have a double boot Linux OS or Linux only. Linux + MW is a great trading environment.

Excellent job, MW

Igor

Spin

I am also very exited about this release !!

Pinguins for the win !! :LOL:

Already bought a new SSD to add to my dual boot (soon to be a triple boot)

Thanks a ton MW (y)(y)(y)

Peter

Thanks for delivering the Linux version. This is a great alternative to use on pc laptops. Anyone who has Windows 10 pc/laptop I highly recommend to have a double boot Linux OS or Linux only. Linux + MW is a great trading environment.

Excellent job, MW

Igor
Why do you like Linux over Windows 10? Which distribution do you use?

Spin

I only use Win when I really REALLY need to.

Linux is much lighter (uses the PC's resources better) and much more stable. I have systems running at home for over 2 years now, without a single reboot :)
An extra bonus is that your external access (over SSH / remote desktop / VPN / ...) to your Linux (trading) system at home or at the office is safer than on Win (although I will admit I have no clue on how far Win 10 advanced in this specific area)

I will probably go for an Ubuntu installation over the weekend (since it is supported/tested by the MW-team)

edit: Ubuntu would be easiest for a beginner-user: well-documented, full-featured and easy to set up: See here

igor.s

You can’t go wrong with Linux :) By the way, I use Oracle VirtualBox on Linux where I run Windows 10. This is just to run my brokers application if I need to.

Spin

I switched over to MW on Kubuntu 19.10 recently and I experience some odd behavior:

my mouse wheel only works in one direction. I can zoom in (enlarge the 'bar width'), but cannot zoom out. Ticking the 'invert' box in the mouse preferences allows for zoom out, but then zoom in no longer works :unsure:

I tested with several mice (three to be precise) and I also checked whether scrolling worked in other applications: no issues there.

Anyone else see this happen on a *nux distro ?

EDIT: Fun fact: scrolling through lists (the instrument list or the Keyboard Preferences list) still works as expected ❓

Last edited:

RobKinman

Hey, it's my first post here! Figured I would do it in the Linux section since I been running my MW on Linux on my tower.

I am using Feren OS. Its basically a KDE version of Linux Mint. Runs super smooth. I have not experienced a single bug with MW. Honestly can't believe how stable it is running.

This really puts MW on top in my opinion!

Spin

🐭🐭🐭🐭
Update on my "Linux Mouse Scrolling issue":

I have been trying to debug this weird scrolling behavior (as described in the post above).
I noticed that my mouse scrolling is perfectly ok when I deploy MW on a new Debian-install (I used Debian 10 with KDE Plasma for my latest test).

Since I really like the possibility of having a 'shared' repository, I implement that (mine is on a server, all my systems sync with it).
I noticed that my mouse scrolling goes haywire the second I switch from local repository to my server.

'So it MUST be something in my config ! ', I thought and I inspected it closely.
I suspected it might be a key binding, so I removed all the keybindings. Problem persisted.
So perhaps a 'mouse setting' ? Nope, no luck there either. But, ahaaa ! Some progress at least:
I established that one of the three mouse-options behaves perfectly normal ! The 'time shift' is listening nicely to the scrolling of the mouse wheel. I can scroll back and forward as expected. :)

I keep wondering now: why won't the same mouse scrolling wheel not work with 'vertical spacing' or 'bar width' ?
It this a bug hidden somewhere deep in MW's code perhaps ? :unsure:

MotiveWave_Joe

Staff member
Hi Spin,

I checked with development and there is no fix for this at the moment as it seems that the issue is likely to be related to a quirk in the os rather than the MW code.

I will let you know if anything changes.

Best,

Spin

I have good news, but also bad news:
The good news is that the 'mouse-issues' I mentioned above indeed do seem related to the OS: the problem only exists when using KDE Plasma as Desktop Environment. So issue fixed!

The bad news is that I have been experiencing frequent 'hangs' (still on a Debian 10 box, but with the default gdm3 display manager):

It seems that for some reason MW is not able to use more than 2gb of memory (there is plenty present). This is a fresh install on a fresh Debian 10 box. No other applications are running (box will become my home-MW-server that will run 24/5)

Anyone else seeing this ? :oops:

igor.s

The MW relies on java. i don’t think the MW code is a responsible for that particular error. I’m running the MW on Linux Mint for quite time and it is all stable.

Spin

Yes, it does indeed run on Java. The question then would be: why does it not use more of the available memory ? Why is it limited to 2gb ?

Can I change that somewhere ?