MW Linux Version

igor.s

It should be dynamically determined based on your machine. I have one machine with 16Gb RAM and the MW uses 4Gb, another machine has 32Gb RAM and the MW uses 8Gb. But you can force to use more memory if at the start up you go to advanced settings and enter java related memory -Xms, -Xmx parameters.

MotiveWave_Joe

Staff member
Hi Spin,

When you first start MotiveWave, you can select Advanced after clicking on the Options button. You can try changing the heap size but be careful not to make it too large as it could stop MotiveWave from restarting and forcing a complete uninstall and reinstall of the program.

advanced.png

Spin

FYI:

When you have 'tweaked' the above parameters over the limit, and MW refuses to start, simply locate the file startup.ini in your home/.motivewave folder and remove the arguments.

No need to remove & reinstall, and you can start experimenting all over again ;)

albrespirar

Hi guys,

i try install motivewave in Archlinux , but i when start motive wave , My terminal show this error ;

respirar@alba ~]$ motivewave
uint32 0
1366x768 60.00*+
Resolution: 768
/usr/bin/motivewave: línea 35: bc: orden no encontrada
Scaling: %
Max Heap:
VM Args:
Prism pipeline init order: es2 sw
Using Double Precision Marlin Rasterizer
Using dirty region optimizations
Not using texture mask for primitives
Not forcing power of 2 sizes for textures
Using hardware CLAMP_TO_ZERO mode
Opting in for HiDPI pixel scaling
Prism pipeline name = com.sun.prism.es2.ES2Pipeline
Loading ES2 native library ... prism_es2
succeeded.
GLFactory using com.sun.prism.es2.X11GLFactory
(X) Got class = class com.sun.prism.es2.ES2Pipeline
Initialized prism pipeline: com.sun.prism.es2.ES2Pipeline
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:64)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:564)
at java.base/sun.launcher.LauncherHelper$FXHelper.main(LauncherHelper.java:1071)
Caused by: java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: ""
at java.base/java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:68)
at java.base/java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:662)
at java.base/java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:770)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication.getFloat(GtkApplication.java:133)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication.lambda$new$5(GtkApplication.java:164)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:312)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication.<init>(GtkApplication.java:163)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkPlatformFactory.createApplication(GtkPlatformFactory.java:41)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.Application.run(Application.java:144)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.startup(QuantumToolkit.java:280)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.startup(PlatformImpl.java:269)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.startup(PlatformImpl.java:158)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.startToolkit(LauncherImpl.java:658)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.launchApplicationWithArgs(LauncherImpl.java:409)
at javafx.graphi

Spin

Hello @albrespirar and welcome to the MW-forums.

I "think" you might be the first known 'Arch-hero' here 😄

My experience with Arch is rather limited, but this line immediately caught my eye :

/usr/bin/motivewave: línea 35: bc: orden no encontrada

Is the package 'bc' installed ? Google tells me it is in the 'Extra'-repository

albrespirar

I followed the indications as indicated on the web ... and the files are where they should

Spin

bc is not part of MW, imo.

Try installing it and report back please :)

colaps

Thanks MW Team for the Linux version that works very fast and smoothly on my laptop.
However i have a lease to IQFeed and I can't connect to it in any way (see attached picture).
After read this topic i decided to try and install macOS Big Sur on a virtualbox machine, install lasted MW 6.4.4 and Crossover though the official IQFeed guide and it looks like it works out of the box without any issues.

I'm running Arch Linux up to date and MW 6.4.4
Bash:
java -version
openjdk version "15.0.2" 2021-01-19
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 15.0.2+7)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 15.0.2+7, mixed mode)

I also tried with a fresh Debian Buster Live USB and also Ubuntu 20.4 Live USB without luck.

Wonder know if you guys are running IQFeed with MW on your linux machine and if so without any issues ?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• motivewave_iqfeed_linux.png
    motivewave_iqfeed_linux.png
    64.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

pj_motivewave

Hi @Spin, Please check run.sh script which is present in /usr/share/motivewave. If i remeber correctly 2048mb is passed explicitly over there. You can also increase the heap size by clicking on advance on whe workspace selection screen and set how much you want to keep

Hope this was helpful

Per

When you start up MW, you can modify the memory allocation on the startup window:

As I have mentioned in another thread, you can't actually do any complicated configuration because the startup scripts are broken:

I have reported this problem and suggested they change it, but so far nothing has happened afaik.

Spin

Hello @Per and @pj_motivewave and thanks for the tips.

I had tweaked my startup script (run.sh in /usr/share/motivewave on my machine) to settings that work well for me. Everything runs smooth for a while now :)

I have changed the last line to this to get rid of the annoying 'cannot scroll out'-problem:

Bash:
$SCRIPTDIR/jre/bin/motivewave $MAX_HEAP -Djdk.gtk.version=2 -javaagent:"$SCRIPTDIR/jar/MotiveWave.jar" -Dname="MotiveWave"  -Djava.library.path="$SCRIPTDIR/lib" -DUserHome=$

(this was not my find, but @alexjp's: see this post)

@Per , what do you mean when you say "the startup scripts are broken" ?? :unsure::unsure:

Per

VM args typically have key=value, but the startup script they have cobbled together does a cut on the = character, which means that the only VM args recognised are those that don't have any = characters. What happens is that after the first encountered = it drops the rest of whatever VM Args you've entered in that dialogue. It's quite a poor implementation and they should fix it.

Spin

VM args typically have key=value, but the startup script they have cobbled together does a cut on the = character, which means that the only VM args recognised are those that don't have any = characters. What happens is that after the first encountered = it drops the rest of whatever VM Args you've entered in that dialogue. It's quite a poor implementation and they should fix it.
Right :)

Now I see what you mean. That does look troublesome indeed.

Thanks for your expert eye on this ! (y)

Hermann

Hi Spin,

I checked with development and there is no fix for this at the moment as it seems that the issue is likely to be related to a quirk in the os rather than the MW code.

I will let you know if anything changes.

Best,
The bug with scrolling the mouse wheel only functional in one direction is common, affects more linux users of diffrent distributions. I have linux mint and had the same issue.
The problem is solved. Please look into the theme
motivewave and linux performance improvements
Please implement the improvements . They clearly work, bug solved - performance improved significant. Great applause for the community.

orishaspollo

There is an “official” (community supported) Arch Linux

yay -Ss motivewave

will give you results