Motivewave not quitting on Mac and hanging

blargh

My Motive installation seems to get hung when I try to quit the program. It remains in the "Force Quit Applications" list, and I'm unable to reopen the program without restarting the computer. This is preventing me from becoming a paying customer and motivewave support just sent me here.

Even though the application appears to still be running, I can't seem to find the MW process in the terminal when I list processes with:

"ps -ef | grep MotiveWave" or
"ps -ef | grep java".

Any ideas on how to fix? This bug basically makes MotiveWave almost unusable as I cannot restart my computer whenever I quit.

Java Version:
java version "1.8.0_60"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_60-b27)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.60-b23, mixed mode)

OS X Catalina 10.15.6

Motivewave version 6.2.4

Last edited:

igor.s

The java version seems wrong. The MW uses java 14. I run the MW on Mac and Linux - never had this issue. A very stable platform.

blargh

Upgraded to openjdk 14 and still having same issue:

openjdk version "14.0.2" 2020-07-14
OpenJDK Runtime Environment AdoptOpenJDK (build 14.0.2+12)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM AdoptOpenJDK (build 14.0.2+12, mixed mode, sharing)

igor.s

The platform comes with a built in java. It doesn’t not require any external java.

blargh

Hi Joe - Yeah, have tried multiple times, and even uninstalled Java... it still hangs on quit about 50% of the time, and I can't restart my computer. Any other ideas? I don't even see motivewave in the ps process list.

MotiveWave_Joe

Staff member
Hi,

I noticed that in your previously posted screenshot, you have other applications running.

What happens if MotiveWave is the only running application? Also, if you are running multiple monitors, try running MotiveWave on only 1 monitor.

I don't have any other users reporting the issue so I am thinking that something in your local to your hardware or software setup may be conflicting with MotiveWave or Java.

lthiers

Hi the same happened to me once on Catalina , Logging out cleared the problem.
I am now evaluating MW on Mojave on a different HW and so far not a single glitch.
I am not sure how to reproduce.

dmooney9

Hi,

I noticed that in your previously posted screenshot, you have other applications running.

What happens if MotiveWave is the only running application? Also, if you are running multiple monitors, try running MotiveWave on only 1 monitor.

I don't have any other users reporting the issue so I am thinking that something in your local to your hardware or software setup may be conflicting with MotiveWave or Java.
I’ve been running MotiveWave for about eight years with two screens in the past to run with as many as 4 screens. I do not have Java installed on my Mac because MotiveWave has the most current Java built in. I’ve always found it to be extremely stable and the only time it’s prevented my computer from shutting down is if I’m closing it detects that a new version is available. Then you’ll get a message saying download a new version and your shut down will get hung up until that’s resolved