MotiveWave freezing on MacOs Big Sur

Pharaoh145

I am on the Pro version, with my IBKR account and TDA account loaded in one workspace. All my data is coming from the IBKR account.

I had never had MW freeze or crash on me before, but yesterday my MW froze in the middle of a trade. I force-quit the application, relaunched and immediately closed the trade. Ten seconds later MW froze again.
I quit again and relaunched, again. MW froze, again.

This went on for 20 minutes. I chalked it up to yesterday's volatility and closed up MW and traded the rest of the day with a different platform/broker.

Later I thought to try to log into only one of the accounts, so I launched MW with only the IBKR account active. MW worked perfectly, which leads me to believe that the problem was with TDA or their API.

After the Post Market Close I logged in again, thinking that since the volatility was gone, MW would not freeze. However, it froze again, and continues to freeze within 20 seconds, every single time I launch it with the TDA account (my main account) active.

I don't use any 3rd party plug-ins in MW, and haven't changed any settings (on MW or my computer) from the prior sessions before this started happening.

Is anyone else experiencing anything similar?

ScottyA

I'm on an iMac Pro running MW Ultimate v6.5.6 on Big Sur 11.4. My Futures account is with AMP using CQG data, but I use TDA for stock data.

I have no issues with MW freezing.

duplahun

Have you got 16GB of memory? MW and IBKR TWS JAVA applications. 8GB may be not enough if you using another software parallel next to MW and TWS.

heispark

I am still experiencing Mac crash issue. It looked it's nearly solved for last several months but with latest update (either Mac OS or MW), now it's getting worse. MW just consistently crashes my iMac, especially when display is turned off and then turn on. I keep iMac display turned on to minimize this crash problem but my Mac looks still getting slower. My rough guess is it's a Java related issue. Any comment?

ScottyA

No issues with MW crashing, but I have had IB crash a few times lately. Turns out that issue is Java related too.

Now that I run macOS Monterey on my Intel machine, I found out Apple removed the Java panel in the System Preferences window. I manually updated my JDK to the latest version of 17 and my JRE to 8 update 321, and I also removed all the old versions of my JDK.

I'll report back if I have any issues.

heispark

I am still experiencing Mac crash issue. It looked it's nearly solved for last several months but with latest update (either Mac OS or MW), now it's getting worse. MW just consistently crashes my iMac, especially when display is turned off and then turn on. I keep iMac display turned on to minimize this crash problem but my Mac looks still getting slower. My rough guess is it's a Java related issue. Any comment?
I have updated both MacOS and JDK on last Friday and it seems my issue's resolved. I found I was using a bit older version of Java (Java auto update doesn't work?). I have installed the very latest version of JDK and I think it fixed the issue. Happy now. :)

heispark

If crash continues even if you installed the latest JDK, you may try to disable screen capture utilities. In my case, Monosnap was the culprit. It looks they conflict with Java related applications.

ScottyA

I'm on Monterey 12.4 and JDK 17. No issues, even with screen capture utilities, but I use the Apple built in tools.