M1

igor.s

We have to wait for the MW dev team to make it happen.

jmflukeiii

My understanding is that it will run through Rosetta regardless, but am curious how well that runs, and then wait for a native app in the future.

duplahun

I'm using MW on macOS 11.6 M1 (macbook air and mac mini) with Rosetta. It's just works fine for me. MacBook Air has only 8GB RAM. Mac Mini has 16GB. It should be fine to use without Rosetta. It's depend on JDK.

igor.s

I'm using MW on macOS 11.6 M1 (macbook air and mac mini) with Rosetta. It's just works fine for me. MacBook Air has only 8GB RAM. Mac Mini has 16GB. It should be fine to use without Rosetta. It's depend on JDK.
Good to know.
Java 17 shows support for macOS / AArch64. I assume the MW dev team is planning to release the platform version that would support the M1 without Rosetta.

duplahun

Good to know.
Java 17 shows support for macOS / AArch64. I assume the MW dev team is planning to release the platform version that would support the M1 without Rosetta.
It should be amazing. I'm very new MW user but it was love for first sight :) I'm like Elliott Wave Principle and MW integrates this very well. Auto Elliot on1 minutes chart is fantastic :) Great job.
In 6.5.10 release notes there is a update to JDK 17 note :) But I think it is already x64 not ARM64.

JoshS

wondering if there is an update on this, especially with the new M1 Pro/Max out -- can you run MotiveWave efficiently? can you compile/build new studies/strategies still?

hokxj

I'm running MW on a M1 Max w/ 24 GPU w/ 32GB RAM.

Short answer is it works but not much of an improvement.
Compared to my old i7-1065g7 and integrated graphics it's a bit faster. Compared to the M1 (2020), it's slightly faster as well. i7 < M1 < M1 Max.

There's still cursor lag even when I just open MW. There's still loading lag for tick charts and volume imprint/cumulative delta etc. But it's faster than the intel and M1.

The benefit seems to be the ability to run things outside of MW without lag. I can now screen record using OBS at 4k without impacting MW, something I couldn't do on the i7 and M1.

MW uses approx 30% CPU and will generally hangs around 500MB of ram, but I've seen to spike to 2GB. I'm running 21 charts. Some of those are tick charts, some are TPO, some have CD and Volume Imprint.

Edit: Added more details.

Last edited:

igor.s

The Rosetta layer is a drag. Let’s see when the platform is updated to native M1 Java. Keep us posted.

cheers.

JoshS

I'm running MW on a M1 Max w/24 GPU.

Compared to my old i7-1065g7 and integrated graphics it's a bit faster.

There's still cursor lag even when I just open MW. There's still loading lag for tick charts and volume imprint/cumulative delta etc. But it's faster than the intel.
Too bad, was hoping for a bigger improvement.

JoshS

I'm running MW on a M1 Max w/ 24 GPU w/ 32GB RAM.

Compared to my old i7-1065g7 and integrated graphics it's a bit faster. Compared to the M1 (2020), it's slightly faster as well. i7 < M1 < M1 Max.

There's still cursor lag even when I just open MW. There's still loading lag for tick charts and volume imprint/cumulative delta etc. But it's faster than the intel and M1.

The benefit seems to be the ability to run things outside of MW without lag. I can now screen record using OBS at 4k without impacting MW, something I couldn't do on the i7 and M1.

MW uses approx 30% CPU and will generally hangs around 500MB of ram, but I've seen to spike to 2GB. I'm running 21 charts. Some of those are tick charts, some are TPO, some have CD and Volume Imprint.

Edit: Added more details.
do you change any custom memory settings in the advanced menu on startup? I would want to experiment giving motivewave 32GB memory, etc to see how it all handles it -- especially with the super fast memory of M1 Max. could also tune garbage collection and cores used

Mine arrives 16-21st, so gotta wait a week or two still.

mikeyhu70

I hate java with rosetta 2, while waiting for the official version, I use zulu java 16 (ARM64) with MW (need some tinkering) and so for it has been working fine on the M1 Pro (not MAX). Faster or not compare to the official version, hard to tell

PS:Java 17 (ARM) make it crash, IB have tons of problem with Monterey 12.0.1 along with Java 8, they have to move to Java 11 a fix some code

igor.s

I think the MW is using some native libraries that still go through Rosetta even when you use Zulu as a hack. Java M1 native support is not stable and thus the MW team hesitates to release the platform to avoid unnecessary issues. For those who does trading for living the platform/OS stability far more important than the latest shining thing from manufactures.

I personally continue to use Mojave - it is stable. Also, I'm quite happy using Linux Mint. Like I said the stability is the most important factor to consider.

cheers.

mikeyhu70

Yes it has some native library that goes though rosetta 2 as they as binary not java interpreted

My hand is tied because

1. 2021 MBP M1 Pro come with Montery out of the box, bid not bother to downgrade

2. I'm looking for a platform that does both EW and Hurst Cycle (big fan of cycles and spent years studying it though Sentient trader and timing-solution product)

3. run OSX (I know windows pretty well as I work in IT but I just like to be contrarian and become windows hater)

All those make MW is the only choice

I do slow trades like credit spread and post forecast from time to time, even it crash it do not bother me, but it has no crash in 3 days and 20+ hours of usage, But OSX Monterey is so unstable and full of bugs (time machine can't even do an incremental backup) not to mention it's a memory hog issue

If I trade ES or NQ that another story

While there is no official date, I was told it should be out within 2 month or so

igor.s

I hear you. Apple has come up with a nice piece of hardware. But the software is still catching up.
I trade the NQ only. It's a wild beast especially when the volatility is high. The MW platform handles it well. Kudos to the MW dev team.
I read somewhere that Linux is being ported to M1. If I have the Apple hardware and Linux on it it would be an ideal case. Each new MacOS gets buggy and heavier. There is no focus on enterprise clients.

cheers.

mikeyhu70

for those interested I figure out why JDK 17 crash, the JDK 17.0.1 crash under Monterey

It's fixed in 17.0.2, you can get from here Download (M1 Native library) and replace the contents in javafx in MotiveWave.app

And in Contents replace Plugins/Java.runtime replace with JDK 17 (17.0.1) from azul (M1 Native)

Now memory usage is much better, it use 50% of what it was before

I'm a tinker always go for the greatest and latest

EDIT: Forget to mention you need to modified the run.sh in the Motive Wave.app/Contents/MacOS/run.sh

JAVADIR="$BASEDIR/Plugins/Java.runtime/Contents.arm64/Home/bin/java"

The new Java I put in Contents.arm64, I did not override the original one

Last edited:

igor.s

Thanks for sharing. Any notable performance wise improvement?

cheers.

mikeyhu70

Thanks for sharing. Any notable performance wise improvement?

cheers.
The memory footprint is way smaller, before it was like 4GB, now it's under 1GB with the same chart open

My assumption is javafx native it did not load others rosetta library

I always use those flags to make Java snappier in every Java apps, even IB or TOS

-XX:+UseG1GC -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:G1NewSizePercent=20 -XX:G1ReservePercent=20 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=25 -XX:G1HeapRegionSize=32M