Keeping Strategies Active While Developing Others

wayum999

Hello there,

I am having an issue where I push edits to my strategies to the MW folder via the build.xml file in Eclipse, but I notice that each time I do that, my active strategies because inactive and I need to remove them and add them again before they will work. I know I can change the folder in the build.xml file to where the strategies I am editing are pushed, but this seems to have the same resolve. The ACTIVATE and DEACTIVATE toggle button seems to get wonky and sort of do the opposite that it says and the only way I have found to fix it is to remove it and add it again.

Is anyone else having this same issue and does anyone know of a way to work on strategies in development without effecting current active ones or having to get a completely separate license on a different machine? I am sure there is a simple solution but I wasn't able to think of it. Thanks in advance.

W

ScottyA

I'm a super novice when it comes to developing, but I do not have this issue in IntelliJ.

Anyone willing to weigh in on Eclipse?

wayum999

I found one work around; I just develop my strategies on the community version on a different machine and then when they are ready, I just push them at that point and do the reset of the strategies instead of each time I make an edit. Better to work on a separate machine from the one running anyways I figure.

I like IntelliJ, good program. I think this is a Motive Wave thing, though, how it looks to the MW extensions folder for its strategies and studies and how that connection is somehow reset when you run the build.xml file. Just a thought.

Thanks!

Spin

Well, I work with Eclipse and I do not encounter this issue. Here are my 2 cents:

Every time I start developing a newer version of a Study or Strategy, I change the class-name (and also the .java-file name, obviously):

And I also change the StudyHeader, so that the newer version shows up under a different name in the Study or Strategy Menu of my choosing in MW:
Java:
@StudyHeader(
    namespace="com.motivewave",
    id="YellowHammerV7",
//    rb="com.motivewave.platform.study.nls.strings",
    name="YellowHammer version 7",
    desc="YellowHammerV7",
    menu="VB6.systems",
    overlay=true,
    studyOverlay=false,
    requiresBarUpdates=true)

By performing these simple steps, the version I am currently working on does not affect the one on the charts.

:)

When all the coding is finished, you can simple remove the older versions from Eclipse and from MW itself (in your home folder: MotiveWave Extensions/dev/src/)

wayum999

Thanks, this is actually what I have started to do as well, much appreciated!