Is there a Drawing Copy Function between linked charts?

TraderGrunge

Hi

I am wondering if MW has a function similar to Sierra where you can have drawings copied between linked charts on the same instrument?

For example if I have 3 charts of the current ES contract. 1 hr, 15min and 5min. And I mark a horizontal support line in any of them, and it will show on the other 2??

Is this possible on MW?

MotiveWave_Joe

Staff member
Hi,
MotiveWave uses the named "analysis" feature to share chart markup across charts for the same symbol. Any chart's markup (plotted studies and components) can be saved under a specific name and then recalled on any chart for that symbol. Although it does not behave exactly as Sierra's copy drawings implementation, the functionality is similar in some ways.

More information on working with analysis in MotiveWave can be found here:

QJTrader

Hi,
MotiveWave uses the named "analysis" feature to share chart markup across charts for the same symbol. Any chart's markup (plotted studies and components) can be saved under a specific name and then recalled on any chart for that symbol. Although it does not behave exactly as Sierra's copy drawings implementation, the functionality is similar in some ways.

More information on working with analysis in MotiveWave can be found here:

Yeah, that appears to be the standard answer... "analysis".
The problem is that it copies studies & everything else, so your charts are essentially mirror images.

What does one do if different analysis is being done on different timeframes, but on the same symbol, and you want to transfer a trendline price level from a H4 chart to a M15 chart... In MW the simplicity of transferring a single drawing object with it's xy in tact to another chart can not be done!!!

I know many users have asked for this in the past, as this is a standard feature on many platforms, but alas, MW keeps pointing at "analysis"

Perhaps add a feature request to:

(1) add a "copy feature" to allow a drawing component to be copy/pasted using the source price & time levels...
(2) Provide additional options in an "analysis" to only select what components should be duplicated (i.e. drawing objects), rather than duplicating everything.

Last edited:

Spin

You could play with a Study's 'visibility', so it only appears on certain timeframes, and not on others:

1668626573292.png

And if you don't touch the lines' visibility, they would appear on all your charts, no ? (providing they all are based on the same 'analysis', that is)

Might be a little tiresome to set up at first, but you would get the desired result. Sort of. I guess :)

QJTrader

You could play with a Study's 'visibility', so it only appears on certain timeframes, and not on others:

View attachment 1452

And if you don't touch the lines' visibility, they would appear on all your charts, no ? (providing they all are based on the same 'analysis', that is)

Might be a little tiresome to set up at first, but you would get the desired result. Sort of. I guess :)
Hi,

Yes and thanks for the response :)

I did play with that (tiresome as it was) and initially the visibility setting was not being respected by any chart and no matter what I did, the drawing components appeared on all charts even if visibility was set M1 for example. However after a reboot it suddenly started working and although a bit cumbersome, it does kinda work,.

I do hope MW does something to update these basic features, as I get almost daily updates from Tradingview about new user requested features. MW on the otherhand zip!! Users on this forum have been requesting, what I consider to be basic, features for a long time and essentially being ignored for the most part. Anyway, here is to hoping something might be included in the next update 👍

mediavue

I also request the option to not include studies on analysis. If All my drawings (I mainly use horizontal price labels for levels) are on one chart - I want to have them on all my charts so i can see them. I already have countless different charts with order flow / TPO and such, so would be nice to add only the levels/price labels to one of those charts and it updates all of them.
I want to be able to use a TPO chart, then open a new chart, add my order flow template, (which as it stands overwrites any current studies to analysis) - and that order flow template ONLY affect the chart I added the template to, not the different charts with same analysis. This way i can have my levels across the board.

edchow

I'm also looking for functionality like the above. I like the workflow that Think or Swim has where you can have separately per chart - a "Study Set" which has my technical indicators - moving averages, bollinger bands etc. and a "Drawing Set" with all my trendlines, channels etc.

I have multiple monitors and I have a screen with multiple smaller charts for monitoring an instrument with different sets of studies i.e. daily profile, weekly profile, volatility etc.

But these are all constrained by the higher timeframe and price structures so I also like to zoom out to look at the big picture on clean charts without all the clutter of indicators and overlays to do high level analysis. I'll do that on a clean fullscreen chart on a separate window then apply the drawing set to my lower timeframe charts.

Right now, there's no nice way to do this in afaik in MW since "Drawing Sets" are coupled with the analysis and "Study Sets". If I have 2 charts open of the same instrument, I can put on a clean template to find my major lines etc. Then reapply the template, but those drawings only apply to that analysis. How do I get those same drawings to another chart with another template of studies?

Last edited:

mediavue

Screenshot 2022-12-27 at 22.06.15.png
Even trading view has this functionality. Doesnt matter what indicators/studies the charts have. it will apply your drawings/lines to all the charts of the same instrument. One button, easy. Why cant MW provide this simple to use functionality?

mikrom

+1
Requesting the same feature. Also folders for drawings would be nice so that trade setups with multiple drawings can be easily toggled on and off

justplaindirt

+1. I hate having to mark the same support and resistance lines on multiple timeframes/charts. I just don't think they know how to do it. Some things could work much better than they do but never improve. Many of the bugs that I would have thought to be fixed still remain. Still my favorite platform ever but it could be so much better if some things worked better.

Johnedoe

Yup, hope springs eternal for some of the most basic and useful features.

Johnedoe

Mobile app?
Should have been on the desktop first.
I only have a mobile link to my broker for emergencies.... I DO NOT trade from a mobile ap.

id0zero

+1 , it's very time consuming to draw the same line on all charts.... It's a basic, must have functionality, I don't understand why Motivewave doesn't have this.

jryan

+1 , it's very time consuming to draw the same line on all charts.... It's a basic, must have functionality, I don't understand why Motivewave doesn't have this.
They have analysis.... hehe. Of course if you are marking up a TPO chart and weant to display it on a 5min candle you are SOL.

mediavue

they should have this functionality. This is a deal breaker. I don't want to put TPO on all my charts or constantly mark up levels on different charts timeframes / candle type. Once should be all it takes and speeds up our workflow....