Invalid Instrument

jeff_balmain

Hello

I am receiving the following error message 'Invalid Instrument: Message: No security definition has been found for the request'. I have created a CSV file with only two columns, those being Symbol and Exchange, for example AAV on TSE, that would be Advantage Oil and Gas on the Toronto Stock Exchange. I then import this CSV file into my watchlist and receive the error after 'clicking' on the instrument to display its data in a linked chart. Any guidance/help would be appreciated.

N.B. I am using Interactive Brokers as my data feed and broker. I also live and work in Canada if that has any bearing.

LikesToTrade

+1! I typed symbols into my watchlist by hand, set the exchange and added a description. Now when I click on a symbol I get the same error message...

UPDATE: it is Monday now and suddenly all symbols work again. Could have been a weekend thing???

Last edited:

Pharaoh145

I realized that my issue is actually a bit different from what the 2 of you are describing, but probably related.
For me, the error message popped up when I tried to place an order using my IB account. The chart data was visible because it was coming from my other brokers. (I have multiple accounts active in one workspace.)

I got some help from MW Support on this. I will edit this later to paste the exact instructions they sent me, but in short, they said problem is probably caused by the symbol being different on different brokers.
This made sense to me for Futures for example, where the symbol is deferent, but not on an equity where the symbol is the same (and the error still occurred).

Anyway, you can try this...
Right click on the chart, and choose EDIT INSTRUMENT.
Go to the Connections tab and change the data feed.

Or, since you are inputting the symbols manually...
Instead of typing the symbol, use the search/magnifying glass to search the symbol according to broker.

Hope this helps.

My particular issue seemed to correct itself towards the end of the day on Friday, so I haven't yet figured out if it was their suggestion that worked, or the fact that I had ALL my brokers connected at the time, where before I only had 2 connected, and maybe that one (TDA) didn't agree with IB on the symbol name.

LikesToTrade

Thanks for your reply, Pharao145. Sadly for me the issue is still ongoing with symbols like SLB, TLRY and NIO affected. I have deleted them and re-added them with the search tool in MW. But still no luck.