Intermediate User Manual?

motiv-8

I am currently test driving a trial membership. In the 3-4 days I have been using Motive Wave, I have come up with a boatload of questions that don't seem to be addressed in the online documentation or forum posts.

Is there somewhere that has the next level of information up from the basic "how to install" information? Short of that, I'll end up generating about 50 new forum threads.

Specific questions I currently have are:
- how is the heap managed, what specifically is being stored
- what is the "garbage collector", what does it do, when/why should I empty it
- how to unlink charts that seem to have linked themselves by default
- where is local data stored, how much is stored
- how to customize interface a little more

Thank you,
motiv-8

ScottyA

Welcome to MotiveWave!

Most of your questions can be answered in the User Guide, available for download: http://www.motivewave.com/download.htm

The full manual hasn't been complied but has been released as additions. The User Guide is v5. Also try searching through the "What's New" both archive and in versions 6.x.

motiv-8

Hi Scotty,

Thank you for the response. I had not downloaded the User Manual. I was referencing the online Documentation at https://docs.motivewave.com/ , as I wrongly assumed it would be more up to date than a manual that needed to be compiled and released.

Unfortunately, the PDF User Manual is woefully out of date. Since it was written for Version 5, the configuration menus bear little resemblance to the current version of the software. I am test driving the current download 6.6.7 .

A quick search of the contents shows that none of the topics listed in my original email are properly addressed in the PDF User Manual. "Heap" search returns no hits, "garbage" or "collector" return no hits. I've watched a couple of the "What's New" videos. They only show new added features not where basic settings have been moved to. The only topic I found in the User Manual is the location of local data, but the menus shown are not in line with the menus in Version 6 of the software. I still haven't found where the "repository" settings have been moved.

Following the User Manual instructions to "Unlink" graphs does not keep the "Stations" from acting in a linked fashion. The User Manual instructions do not accurately show how to modify bracket order setups in the current software.

On the plus side, the User Manual showed me where to look to get rid of the annoying double cross hairs. It was not up to date with Version 6, but it was more accurate than the "docs.motivewave.com" information.

Screen shots attached:
- User Manual Configure - Repository setting v. current software configure menu.
- Double cross hair settings: online docs, User Manual, software

Thank you,
motiv-8

PS - great to see you are using Motive Wave on a Mac. Cross platform functionality is a big draw for me, as my current software is Win only.

Attachments

• Motive Wave - User Manual Repository.jpg
    Motive Wave - User Manual Repository.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Motive Wave - User Manual Double cross hair.jpg
    Motive Wave - User Manual Double cross hair.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Motive Wave - Double cross hair settings.jpg
    Motive Wave - Double cross hair settings.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 3

Sawyer

I am currently test driving a trial membership. In the 3-4 days I have been using Motive Wave, I have come up with a boatload of questions that don't seem to be addressed in the online documentation or forum posts.

Is there somewhere that has the next level of information up from the basic "how to install" information? Short of that, I'll end up generating about 50 new forum threads.

Specific questions I currently have are:
- how is the heap managed, what specifically is being stored
- what is the "garbage collector", what does it do, when/why should I empty it
- how to unlink charts that seem to have linked themselves by default
- where is local data stored, how much is stored
- how to customize interface a little more

Thank you,
motiv-8
I can take a stab at a few of your questions.

The "garbage collector" runs automatically and clears out memory no longer being used. You should never have to empty it manually unless something has gone wrong and you want to try to clear it out before performing a complete shut down/reboot.

The location of local data varies by OS. The bulk amounts to historical tick data for the instruments you have in your charts and workspaces. For macOS, it is located in ~/Library/MotiveWave.

Last edited: