Interactive Brokers Data (IB TWS)

kiwi

I represent a possibly significant move of Sierra Chart users to MotiveWave. This is driven by Sierra's push into data service provision plus some other factors but there are one or two issues with MW. I've been writing software to see what can be done but this is a bit of a show stopper from IB users.

IB provide two data feeds.

The original one provides snapshots of the current price and is quite responsive but can miss the odd tick. The second one is a 5 second true data bar which does include all prices but is only transmitted at the end of each 5 second bar.

Motivewave draws its historical data from the 5 second feed so it's accurate and includes all m1 bar highs and lows. But live data is purely from the live/snapshot/t&s feed so the bars may be a tick or more short of O, H, L, and C prices. The extremes are missed more often, presumably because they are fast excursions not captured by the snapshot. If bar breaks are important to your trading style then this may be costly.

In Sierra you can run the charts collecting True data (5 sec) and then run a dll to write the TD corrected with the snapshots. That means you get correct prices from the TD and you get "instant" responsiveness from the live/t&s feed.

Is there are way that charts can be written with 5 second data with MotiveWave? Better still can they be written with combined data (or can access to both be provided for user paintbar studies to write bars that are both fast and correct?

At the moment the only workaround is to reload the chart to correct the bars for good decision making.

John

Last edited:

ScottyA

I represent a possibly significant move of Sierra Chart users to MotiveWave.

Welcome from SC. What a fantastic platform! I would have made more money than I did as a day trader if I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say, "well, SC can do it." :ROFLMAO: It's not easy leaving behind something so robust... but it sounds like they left you behind. Sorry bro!

Is there are way that charts can be written with 5 second data with MotiveWave? Better still can they be written with combined data (or can access to both be provided for user paintbar studies to write bars that are both fast and correct?

A great question that you won't likely get answered on the forum. I recommend reaching out to Jason, Joe, or Tony in Customer Support. They know their stuff.

At the moment the only workaround is to reload the chart to correct the bars for good decision making.

The workaround I use is to have an alternative data feed like CQG for tick data (via AMP because they're the cheapest) and then set up the CQG chart to initiate trades via TWS.

If interested, right click on the chart to select "Edit Instrument." Click on the "Connections" tab, and select "Add" for Symbol Mapping. This is where you configure the chart to use one data source but execute trades using another one. Like this:

Symbol Mapping.png

I hope you're able to find MW a suitable platform for your trading! I love it!

kiwi

Thanks for the response @ScottyA.

I actually have a python script that reads 5 second data from TWS and can write it to any required file type (.txt, .csv, think of one & I'm sure I can deal with it).

So I could resolve this issue if I could get MW to read files and update when they changed (as opposed to importing once and not looking again). I was looking just before I pinged this thread but couldn't find an option to read & chart from a "real time" updating file. Are you aware of one?

I'd be happy to polish up & release the script to anyone who needs if if it was possible to feed MW with a file it generated.

ScottyA

I actually have a python script that reads 5 second data from TWS and can write it to any required file type (.txt, .csv, think of one & I'm sure I can deal with it).

That's amazing! So glad to have smart folks like you a part of the MW community!

...an option to read & chart from a "real time" updating file. Are you aware of one?

I'd be happy to polish up & release the script to anyone who needs if if it was possible to feed MW with a file it generated.

Not aware of one, and I can image many users would benefit from your work. Please reach out to share with Customer Support.

kiwi

Thanks Scotty,

I queried the people you suggested but there was no response.