Incorrect P&L for E-micro futures

lightwave

I'm trying MotiveWave before I buy the license. While testing out the trading app, I notice that my test trade using MES (E-micro S&P 500) has incorrect P&L calculation. MES has $5 per point and $1.25 per tick. In the trade history below, one of the trades were BOT at 3932.75 and SLD at 3932.25 resulting in 2 ticks of loss which should result in -$2.50. However, MotiveWave calculated the P&L to be -$10.00

Here is the definition of MESM21 instrument I created. Thank you for any help.

Shortline

If I remember correctly the PnL wasn't accurate for me on a simulated account while trying it out. However, with a real account the PnL is accurate.

It does have one very annoying feature though that you would not have noticed since you were flat before each opening order. PnL is calculated on a FIFO basis (first in first out). So let's say you had a 2 lot position that you bought at 3930 and 3920 in that order. You're average is 3925 and MW will reflect that... until you sell one lot. Let's say you sell your first lot at breakeven, 3925. MW will show a realized LOSS of $25 and your average will change to 3930, for an unrealized gain of $25.

Most platforms will calculate your gains based on average position and how you trade around that average position. It makes sense because that's how most traders think. Working a position from flat-to-flat. To be honest I don't think MW programmers even trade, nor do they actively read this forum. Or if they do they ignore the traders comments/requests/suggestions. Also, every email I have send to Support is basically responded with "that's the way it is".

Just some things to think about before you pull the trigger.

lightwave

@Shortline Thank you!

I also hope there is a way to display P&L in unit of points instead of the dollar amount. It's not good to hear that MotiveWave's support is poor. What other alternative platform would you recommend? Are we allowed to talk about other platforms here?

lightwave

It's a bug in the instrument definition. MotiveWave is able to reproduce the bug after I sent them the workspace and config files. The only work around I know of is to create a new workspace and start over.