How to disable autoscroll when price changes?

sgjohnson1981

Sorry if this has been asked. I searched for some keywords I put in the title up there.

Just downloaded a trial and trying to get the hang of the platform. In trying to understand what I was looking at in a daily volume profile, I was looking at a prior day which happened to be away from current price. It kept slowly scrolling away from where I was looking like I was accidently hitting my scroll wheel or something, and I didn't immediately realize why. I think I realized it was scrolling back up to where current price was every time a price change occurred. I looked all through settings and couldn't find a way to disable this. Is there a way?

Spin

Hello @sgjohnson1981 and welcome to the MW-forum :)

I am not 100% sure what exactly it was you're describing here.

Did you try to turn autoscale and/or lock scroll off and on ?

Also, there's a ton of video-tutorials to be found right here (I'm not sure you know this, so I kindly point you in their direction)
https://support.motivewave.com/videos/

Please clarify if this did not help you with your scrolling issue !

sgjohnson1981

I'll try to explain again. If you have autoscale turned on, the chart will autoscale to fit all your bars, and grabbing the chart with the Grab Tool (the hand) to move it up or down isn't possible. If you turn off autoscale and expand the scale (make the bars larger), you can then grab the chart and move the chart up or down (to view lower or higher price). I'm saying that when you do the latter and move the chart to where the current price is no longer visible and the price changes, the chart will slowly move back to show current price levels. Move it back, it will slowly do the same thing. I'm currently doing this with ES (S&P E-mini). If you leave autoscale on and change the scaling, you can't grab the chart and move it up or down. Scroll lock makes no difference. It's the same behavior whether it's off or on.

Last edited:

Spin

Ok, gotcha.

I confirm I can reproduce that behavior.
What I did notice however is that this 'slow scrolling' does not take place when you move the current bar just off the (right side of) the chart.
You will see a right-facing arrow displayed in the bottom right, to tell you that you are not at the most recent bar yet, but the scrolling will not take place if the current price is not on your chart and price changes.

I too tried fiddling around with the settings (look in Configure - preferences - chart - options), but see no changes.

I hope this helps somehow :sneaky:

sgjohnson1981

Ah! That does work. Slightest bit annoying to have to do that, but I can get in the habit. Impressed so far nonetheless. VERY customizable. Now if the TradeStation/Linux version connector can get fixed, I'll be a happy camper. Using a qemu-Windows VM is also a bit of a pain.

Last edited:

EyesOnThePrize

Hello. The auto scroll can indeed be turned off. You have to do it for each individual chart by either double clicking the chart background, or right click then select "Chart Setting." Then go to "Scaling" and untick "Ticks From Edge"

Edit - I forgot to mention that you have to change the Scale Type to "Price Range" before the "Ticks From Edge" option appears.

Cheers.

Last edited: