Hotkey to Lock components while dragging chart?

abctrading

Often enough times if I have drawn up a chart with a bunch of components, when I go to drag the chart around I will accidentally click and highlight on a component and not notice until it's too late ... and when I go to drag the chart I am actually dragging the component. It's a real pia because then I have to go reset that component as there is no "redo" for that movement.

Is there a hotkey or something that can be pressed when dragging the chart so as not to disturb the components?

Yes I know I can Lock an individual or all components with hotkeys .... and perhaps that is my answer.

However ..... I thought I would ask to see if anybody knew of a quick way to just hold a key down when dragging the chart rather than wondering if any components are locked or not.

Also, I have not noticed anything that would tell me they are locked when none of the components are highlighted. When highlighted It's easy to see when an individual component is locked or unlocked as the "grab dots" turn color .... but if nothing is highlighted ..... how do you know?

Really not a game changer but would be nice and save some time by taking a few steps out.

Thanks.

Donovan2580

I do not believe there is a way to assign a hotkey to just temporarily lock the chart while a key is pressed. I feel you pain on this because I ran into this issue myself and the best way I found to manage it is via the toolbar. At least this way you can visually see if "Lock/Unlock All" is on or off

I have customized my toolbar so this icon may or may not be on yours, but you can add it if you wish. I think it is better than setting up a hotkey for "Lock / Unlock All" because at least you can see if it it turned on or not just by glancing up there at the icon.

1662257548064.png

Here is where you go to add it to your toolbar if you want.

1662256268275.png

As far as being able to tell if one individual thing is locked or not - As you said the little "dots" will be orange if locked or green if not... I know some items do not have these dots, if you right click on the item towards the bottom there is an option you can toggle & you can see if it is locked or not.

Another option would be to add the "Lock Component" icon to the toolbar... When you select a component on the chart you will be able to visually see if the item is locked based on the status of that icon...

In the case of this screenshot the component I have selected on my chart is locked so the lock icon is "pressed down"

1662257736765.png

Also another way to see a lot of information on what is locked / unlocked in a small area is the object viewer...

Ctrl + V or View > Object Viewer

Hopefully that helps :)

BTW - I still find myself dragging a trendline or something rather than the chart by accident... Ctrl+Z to undo works to undo that.

Last edited:

abctrading

@Donovan2580 - Thanks for the info! I had not thought of putting those icons in the toolbar... great idea! That will def help with he accidental draggins.

I had already set up hotkeys for all the other things you had mentioned, just never thought of putting them in the toolbar. Now I have all 3 in my top toolbar at the end of the row before a spacer so that they are quickly easy to see and not getting lost in the middle of the other icons.

1662307970271.png

This platform is so awesome for all of its features like this. Thanks again for the tip!

bc