Heiken Ashi Diff

pop333

Request indicator similar to Heiken Ashi Diff available on ThinkOrSwim. This could be easily obtained by extending the average types in the MA Diff indicator to include Heiken Ashi Close and Open. This indicator plots correctly if added to a Heiken Ashi chart but is virtually useless there. It would have more value on a standard chart as a trend indicator. The use I envision is to use it with settings of (C,SMA,1,0,SMA,1) to basically be an indicator of the Heiken Ashi bar colour. This could then be used in Custom Columns in a watch list, for current and 1 or more previous bars (using the shift feature) to provide a rapid identifier of instruments undergoing a potential trend change.

Superman

Where can someone find out more about the math behind the Heiken Ashi Diff? Or a deep-dive URL or paper about it? It works great in Thinkorswim, but I don't know the meaning of the graphed values. I just wait for it to cross over from above, while coupled with other indicators. Also, I read where Heiken Ashi candles are not good on small timeframes, is that true?