Extremely slow to load volume imprint chart

DCP

Hi, new user currently on the trial and want to upgrade to the full package.

However when I try to load a volume imprint chart it is extremely slow. This is a deal breaker for me if I can't resolve it.

I have a pretty strong computer with good internet. I am getting my data via IB.

Please let me know how I can resolve.

Thanks

ScottyA

However when I try to load a volume imprint chart it is extremely slow. This is a deal breaker for me if I can't resolve it.

I have a pretty strong computer with good internet. I am getting my data via IB.

Welcome @DCP I have the Ultimate Edition and have zero issues with slowness (just verified). There could be a number of possibilities with what's going on. Volume Imprint Study-wise, it could be how many Imprint Count bars you're trying to load.

From one trader to another, using IB for Order Flow and volume won't cut it. You'll get false readings because the data isn't tick-based. I recommend CQG, Rithmic or IQFeed. I'm curious if this might be a potential problem...

Lastly, would you elaborate on the computer you use (Processor and RAM) and the speed of Internet you have? Are you wireless or wired? Are there other things accessing the Internet at the same time, like streaming YouTube, Netflix, or AppleTV?

Reactions: DCP

DCP

Welcome @DCP I have the Ultimate Edition and have zero issues with slowness (just verified). There could be a number of possibilities with what's going on. Volume Imprint Study-wise, it could be how many Imprint Count bars you're trying to load.

From one trader to another, using IB for Order Flow and volume won't cut it. You'll get false readings because the data isn't tick-based. I recommend CQG, Rithmic or IQFeed. I'm curious if this might be a potential problem...

Lastly, would you elaborate on the computer you use (Processor and RAM) and the speed of Internet you have? Are you wireless or wired? Are there other things accessing the Internet at the same time, like streaming YouTube, Netflix, or AppleTV?

Thank you Scotty I appreciate that. I just ran a speedtest and we're running pretty much everything right now so it's probably on the slower side to usual.

Here are my computer specs

I was under the impression that IB now did have tick data? I could be wrong on that though. I'm happy to pay for another data provider if need be but it would be quite frustrating as I trade through IB and am not going to change that. Of the 3 you listed which do you believe have the best value for money?

Thanks again I appreciate the help

ScottyA

Your computer and Internet speed seem to be fine. I was curious about the bandwidth because one time, my wife streamed a video over Apple TV, and my DOM slowed down! LOL. So I bumped up that download speed to 500MG. No problems now!

I was under the impression that IB now did have tick data? I could be wrong on that though.

Very well could be. I haven't used IB for a year +. Besides, it was 2020 last year. Anything could have happened :LOL:

I couldn't find much info on IB Tick data with a cursory Google search. Perhaps you might?

I'm happy to pay for another data provider if need be but it would be quite frustrating as I trade through IB and am not going to change that. Of the 3 you listed which do you believe have the best value for money?

I'd investigate IB tick data first. If it turns out to be valid, then reach out to MW Customer Support. They're great. If not, then I recommend CQG via a small account with AMP. There's a simple way to setup MW to have a CQG data chart that executes trades in IB.

Reactions: DCP

MatDerKater

Thanks

Yep.

Order flow studies (Volume Profile in my case) cripple this program. It has nothing at all to do with Internet connection. I have the similar problems in offline mode.

I have a powerful gaming PC, but with only 16GB RAM, and was advised that my slow performance was due to W10 limiting the available RAM for MW to just 4GB.....

.....well, I redone my chart layout and streamlined the amount of studies I was using, to get MWs average RAM use down to just 1.5GB on average....exact same issues....meanwhile, I can load up the same sort of studies on TradingView and the data all loads in and out as quick as a snap of the fingers.

MW has severe optimisation issues in this regard.....(but I guess that is why it is so cheap...not yet the finished article)

rctrader

Thanks
The slow load time is directly related to Interactive Brokers and is not related to Motivewave. I have used motivewave with Interactive Brokers, Rithmic and CQG.

Charts using Rithmic and CQG data feeds for order flow load extremely fast. My charts that load from Interactive Brokers can take up to a half hour to load for volume imprint and tick charts. I have an iMac pro and have used all 3 data feeds on the iMac pro.

You can reduce the number of non-linear bars and it will load somewhat faster, like 10 minutes for a chart to load instead of a 1/2 hour.

I just start motivewave extra early go make cofffee and eat and when I come back it is usually loaded. Once the chart loads everything works great, it is just the initial loading of the chart that is slow.

MatDerKater

Nope. Not accepting that.

Even in offline mode, MW is still slow when it is handling order flow data, even when installed on a SSD drive with 2GB read/write speeds.

.....that...and all the other persistent bugs...that support tells me don't exist.....oh the bugs.

Blonde

Hiya everyone,

I'm a Motivewave Ultimate user, using Volume Imprint studies, on IB TWS. IB data matter as below:

IB in the demo does not have Volume per my knowledge?
IB does not have actual Tick data in Forex, but they have their own version of Tick calculation
based on seconds etc?

Thus is it possible at all to use Volume Imprint with IB data at all?

Tnx and best of luck 😇

ScottyA

I'm a Motivewave Ultimate user, using Volume Imprint studies, on IB TWS. IB data matter as below:

IB in the demo does not have Volume per my knowledge?
IB does not have actual Tick data in Forex, but they have their own version of Tick calculation
based on seconds etc?

Thus is it possible at all to use Volume Imprint with IB data at all?
Hey Blonde,

Ultimate user here too. I'm not 100% clear on what you mean by demo, but I never had issues seeing Volume when I used TWS for MW.

My understanding is that IB does not have tick data in the traditional sense. Someone smarter than me would be able to explain it to you.

The takeaway though is that with IB-TWS, you will not receive accurate data to make Volume Imprint worth your while. You can technically use it, but the indicator will be misleading due to the way IB calculates the data.

My personal rec is a more reliable data source but still execute through IB, if that's your broker of choice.

Blonde

Hey Blonde,

Ultimate user here too. I'm not 100% clear on what you mean by demo, but I never had issues seeing Volume when I used TWS for MW.

My understanding is that IB does not have tick data in the traditional sense. Someone smarter than me would be able to explain it to you.

The takeaway though is that with IB-TWS, you will not receive accurate data to make Volume Imprint worth your while. You can technically use it, but the indicator will be misleading due to the way IB calculates the data.

My personal rec is a more reliable data source but still execute through IB, if that's your broker of choice.

Hiya @ScottyA

Thanks. I understand what you said. The Demo mean Paper-account in my terms and general European terms. I believe you connect the Motivewave-Ultimate to Live IB account on IB TWS that have the Volume data, but my point here was about Paper-account with IB that does not have any Volume data feeds. If you could get Volume data feeds on IB WPS on Paper-account, would you mind sharing information on how you are doing this?

About IB's data on TWS, it's sophisticated as the platform is sophisticated. The IB per my knowledge does have accurate data(besides their own version of inaccurate Tick data), Time-sequence based data can be accurate and have accurate Volume if you can find its settings to configure it, but I don't have that setting myself and I heard this from professional traders. Thus the only thing we need is the setting to set the IB data in TWS shows us accurate Time-sequence based data feeds and accurate Volume data feeds.

If someone contributes here about how to set the IB TWS data feeds in the Live account to show us the accurate Time-sequence based data feeds and accurate Volume data feeds, I appreciate it?

What external data feeds are best of the best with most accurate Bid/Ask/Trade data feeds and Bid/Ask/Trade Volume and what external data feeds in this category can be connected to IB? I'm looking for anything above IQfeeds quality if exists? Professional advice appreciated?

Tnx and best of luck 😇

Alior

Nope. Not accepting that.

Even in offline mode, MW is still slow when it is handling order flow data, even when installed on a SSD drive with 2GB read/write speeds.

.....that...and all the other persistent bugs...that support tells me don't exist.....oh the bugs.

Agreed MatDeKater,

Every time I move the mouse - it causes a full data download event! For example, for my longer term analysis I have a window with the following for the #ES

1. 6 hour candlestick chart
2. Volume imprint (12 weeks) - Weekly, + Summary profile Monthly
3. Volume profile to the right - 93 days
4 Volume Profile on the left 186 Days
5. Monthly VWAP

I just maximised the screen and bang it removes everything and tells me it's downloading 15.5GB of data. Why? What happened to the data that was already there? Should it not be the downloading the difference in data between what was already there and the moments between?

I wrote to support last week about this issue and some others and the Guy that responded said I should reduce the profiles in the volume imprint. WTF!

I unfortunately purchased the Ultimate edition as I'm an Waver and wanted the volume tools too.

FYI: My Machine Spec(s) and Internet Speed and Data provider.

Desktop:
512GB RAM
Intel 18 Core Xeon 2.6GHz
2 x 2TB Gen 4 PCIE NVME
Windows 10 Pro (Workstation)
NVidia RTX 6000 24 GB RAM

Laptop:
128GB RAM
Intel 8 Core Xeon 2.6GHz
3 x 2TB Gen 4 PCIE NVME
Windows 10 Pro (Workstation)
NVidia RTX A5000 16GB RAM

Broadband:
1.1 Gbps+ download and 100+ Mbps Upload.

Data

Rithmic, full CME Bundle

Last edited:

1223roscopt

The slow load time is directly related to Interactive Brokers and is not related to Motivewave. I have used motivewave with Interactive Brokers, Rithmic and CQG.

Charts using Rithmic and CQG data feeds for order flow load extremely fast. My charts that load from Interactive Brokers can take up to a half hour to load for volume imprint and tick charts. I have an iMac pro and have used all 3 data feeds on the iMac pro.

You can reduce the number of non-linear bars and it will load somewhat faster, like 10 minutes for a chart to load instead of a 1/2 hour.

I just start motivewave extra early go make cofffee and eat and when I come back it is usually loaded. Once the chart loads everything works great, it is just the initial loading of the chart that is slow.

View attachment 735
I'm a few years late on responding to this, however, has similar issues with loading especially after going chart to chart a few times/different times etc. This fixed the loading time for the volume imprint immediately. Thank you for the input. I love motivewave so far, I've been using them now I believe for about 2 months and love it. Issue mainly started yesterday on ES and I can tell you I was getting pretty frustrated. Figured it was my connection/morning open something. It's 5am and issue started again. Put less 'non-linear bars' way down and immediately loaded imprint. Thanks for the input very much!!!