@ES and @ES.D not backadjusted?

Geri

When I'm connected to Tradestation from Motivwave I've seen that the continous contracts @ES and @ES.D are not backadjusted. When I use the same contracts in Tradestation they are backudjusted. Why is there a difference in these two applications when using the same data?

nooris

Because you have Tradestation set to back adjust and motive wave set to not back adjust. The raw data available to both is unadjusted, but trade station applies an extra internal calculation on the raw data while motive wave does not (because of your setting). If you ask me (and I am well aware you didn't) I think unadjusted is the way to go with futures. Back adjusting does not make sense especially in the many cases where it totally changes the all time high/low.

Geri

Thanks for your answer! Do you know where I can change this setting in Tradestation and Motivwave? I didn't find anything in preferences or in the instrument settings.

MrSharky

To make it even more confusing for you, I'm of the opinion (and many with me) you should always backadjust, its crucial to backadjust. And there is a reasoning behind it.

Watch this video

And the link below will show you how to backadjust properly.