Does more cores = better MW performance?

bernards

I have a Mac Pro 2019 with 8 cores. I am considering upgrading it to 16 or 28 cores.

The main software I run on this machine is MotiveWave. Does anyone know if more cores will yield a performance increase in MotiveWave? Thanks.

Screenshot 2022-07-13 at 3.23.44 PM.png

ScottyA

@bernards my kindred computer friend! Here are my specs:

Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 8.38.22 AM.png

The direct answer to your question is I don't know for certain. It seems to make sense that a fast comp = performance increase.

However...

I also want to temper my response and tell you that I've walked this same road before with the help of MW Support: there are other things you can do first that will likely improve MW performance.

What helped me most was adjusting the UI Update Interval (Preferences > General > General > bottom of the top page). I had mine cranked too tight ~100 milliseconds. I thought, surely this sexy machine could handle the demand, but I was wrong. As soon as I began to loosen the UI Update Interval, MW performance dramatically improved. I have it set to 250 milliseconds, and it's perfect.

This begs a whole host of obvious next questions, which I don't believe I'm ever going to get answers for. But on the other hand, it doesn't really matter. I can now trade easily on my beast of a machine.

My unsolicited two pennies? Pocket the cash until Apple comes out with M3.

Hope this helps!

trader99

I've found that GPU ram makes a huge difference as well, especially if you are running multiple graphics intensive softwares at the same time. I like M series just because it shares ram between both. Will probably go with M2 ultra if its come out as a option.