Data for single symbol is stuck in the past

VegasRick

I am unable to load the data for TSLA stock after Apr 22, 2021 - see screenshot below. I cleared the Local Data for this instrument but this did not help. It may be related to running the Replay Mode on this ticker. Is there any way I can force MW to reload this data and bring it current? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Donovan2580

Have you tried right clicking on an empty spot on the chart and picking "Clear Local Data"?

I believe that will only clear the symbol you are currently looking at.

The clear everything: Configure > Clear all local data

Be warned - it might take a long time to reload everything.

Donovan2580

Hmm.... Are you sure it is not a data feed issue??

I have had a few strange things like that only to find out it was my data feed. I ended up using my brokers mobile app to verify the data was no good there as well.

Sorry - I wish I could have been of more help. Hopefully someone else will have an idea. 🤓

ChrisKlak

I think that's a data feed issue. Try another data provider via a demo feed, connect to TD, or maybe there's some free delayed data connections available. (google/yahoo) Not sure if google or yahoo still support their API's but it's worth a shot. Load the same symbol and repeat clearing the data to insure you're retrieving fresh data from the new feed. Then if the issue persists I would assume it's actually MotiveWave.

Donovan also brings up a good point to use your data providers native trading application (if they have one). Or even another trading platform and use the same data feed. Check for the same thing on whatever other platform you use. If you see the same issue you'll know it's the data.

VegasRick

Thanks for the suggestions @Donovan2580 and @ChrisKlak
I'm using TD as the data feed and the same symbol (TSLA) on the TD TOS platform looks good from a data perspective. I'm thinking I should try creating a new workspace with TD data feed and test if it resolves the issue. If it does then I would need to import all my configs from the current workspace to the new repaired one.

VegasRick

I created a new workspace with the same data feed and that corrected the issue. So that confirms it is not a data feed issue. See the new Workspace with the same instrument below.

I am wondering what to do next. If there is a way to correct the issue in my original Workspace that would be ideal.

VegasRick

I decided to abandon my original Workspace, export the pages I needed to a .zip file, and import them into a new Workspace with a connection to the same data feed (TD Ameritrade). This is more of a workaround rather than a fix, but it got me back up and running again. I have a feeling that what caused the original Workspace to corrupt only the TSLA ticker is that I was using the Replay Mode with that symbol and closed MW with Replay Mode paused at April 22nd.

DITB

No, VegasRick, I've had the same problem on the same symbol. It stopped updating on June 10 for me. When I cleared local data, I lost everything post April 22. Who knows what's going on, but I'm frustrated at how long it will take to recreate everything I had in the workspace...

VegasRick

I escalated this issue to the MotiveWave support team and they provided me with a resolution that worked. Below are the exact instructions I received from Dave in support.
... It looks like there may have been a bad watchlist import at some point, and there is a bad/invalid symbol. Try this:
1. Make a new backup of your workspace (File -> Backup)
2. Select any symbol other than TSLA (we are going to delete TSLA - if selected it will close your chart tab)
3. Open the "Manage Instruments" panel (Configure -> Instruments)
4. Search for TSLA, you will see 2 results (see screenshot below). Delete both symbols.
5. You will need to add TSLA back to your watchlist, and may need to re-apply the "3 MAs Pivot" analysis, but you should now have a chart that is current.

GliderGuider

Thanks VegasRick for your post. I had a very similar issue….
In trying to avoid typing all my symbols from IBKR, I made an export of my watchlists from IBKR and imported them to MW. None of those imported symbols would get data from IBKR, even with my waiting for several hours. They could get some data from Google, but it was spotty and would not seem to stay in the Local Database.

I followed your advice above and:
  1. Made a backup of my current Workspace (so far, I haven’t needed it - fingers crossed)
  2. Deleted all the symbols from the imported watchlist
  3. Created a new watchlist and manually added them to MW. As they were added back in, data immediately appears
Hopefully this will keep on working. It does look like there was something corrupted from the IBKR watchlist import.

Last edited: