CSV tick Import

trdrbust

What is the file format for importing tick data ?

I did see the import video, it mentioned that tick data is the same format as the bar data, which really does not make sense.

A trade tick really does not have an open close high low, Only price and volume, so I'm a little confused about the different prices in the video tick file and the ~"same as bar data" comment in reference to the tick file in the video.

Some systems allow a best bid and best ask, which would be nice here.

Anyway, thanks

trdrbust

A little feedback in case anyone from motion wave is around on my thread.

Import is not a great experience so far. It's the only thing I've attempted to do so far, and right off the bat I'm hitting a lack of even basic written documentation(I don't consider trying to reverse engineer file formats from a glimpse of it in a youtube video OK documentation)

I looked closer at the import video provided by MW.
The tick file format looks like YYYYMMDD HHMMSS then 3 price fields. I guess it's Price, best offer, best bid. Then volume. My data has sub-second timestamps, but otherwise matches the expected format, i guess.

Anyway, I picked the file. The Importing Data Dialog is spinning. I see the progress bar in the bottom right window footer is just cycling round and round, like 78M of 127M, 84M of 127M, 88M of 127M, 108M of 127M and then it starts over at 78M of 127M. I have no idea if this import is going to work eventually.

I'd really like to get a little tick history into MW to check it out.

trdrbust

How about it @motivewaveforumadminacct , can someone please help out with this ?

It's almost a year, my free trial is long gone, asking for basic info that IMHO should be part of the documentation.

Whats the csv file format for importing tick data ? Can the timestamp go subsecond?

trdrbust

Thank you @Jan, I appreciate your response...I do think that support could probably help me, but I can't seem to get their attention.

I've tried emailing support like you suggested, they refuse to support me, my trial expired, and I'm now classified as a community edition user:

"Support for the Community Edition is provided by our User Community only.
Regards,

The MotiveWave Support Team
If you have purchasing questions, please email sales@motivewave.com"

I'm starting to get the feeling that this is not the platform for me, looks like a nice product, would like to learn more about it, but so far I'm disappointed in trying to get a fairly basic question answered.......so I'm feeling a little unsure about upgrading to a paid account

Last edited:

Jan

@trdrbust When I go to "File" -> "Chart" -> "Export Data" and then pick "Bar Size" -> "Tick", then it shows you what the format is. Supposedly this is the format your data has to be to import it, would make sense, right?

1632103522258.png

1632103709135.png

Jan

I personally think Motivewave is great! Compared to the stuff I have used before, it's definitely very user friendly and modern. I do use other, more order flow specialized software also, but Motivewave is where I watch the charts and draw my lines. If you find a software that you like more, let me know!

Jan

By the way. I think they are going to have a discount event in the next few days (got an email). For myself I got the order flow edition for something like $450 at an earlier discount event. It's hard to beat that price with this amount of features.