Chart linking headache

nooris

This is driving me crazy! I mainly use 3 different charts: A bar chart, a footprint chart, and a TPO chart. I use the same 3 charts to trade all futures. I have the three charts linked so that when I change the instrument on one it changes it for the other two (that's the only reason I link, just to change the instrument across all linked charts). However every time I shutdown and start again all the linked charts will change some settings which creates the same repeatable problems every time:

1- The bar width on the footprint (volume imprint) chart changes from 80 back to 6 which isn't usable on this type of chart.
2- The TPO chart changes bar type from 'no bar' to candlestick
3- The footprint chart (which uses totals at the bottom) changes the bottom inset from 70 to 10.

I tried different methods of linking. I tried having each chart as a different tab on the same page, I tried all the charts on different pages, I tried 'link all', and I tried the individual color linking. All methods still give me the same problem with the settings changing. Extremely annoying problem.

angoodwi

Assuming each chart is Saved AS a different name e.g. BarChart, FootPrint, TPO and you have 3 of them aligned on a split page? but all linked using a color such as Yellow?
I have a split screen with Bar, a Donchian Channel with Candles and Bar with MA's all linked with same color without issue.
But not using TPO and Footprint so maybe thats something different causing an issue??

nooris

I created a really crappy solution, but a solution nonetheless. I now have a page for each of the 5 main instruments I trade. Each page has 3 tabs (bar, footprint, tpo). No linking whatsoever, so all the settings remain the same after restart. Its not elegant, but I'm making it work.

I still don't understand why linking charts has to unify the bar type, bar size, and top/bottom inset. Why would anyone want that?

angoodwi

Hmmm I have 3 pages, all saved with unique names e.g.
- Pos (bar),
- Momentum(bar with ma's),
- Donchian channel (candle))
Each one has its own template applied with the settings on the template to include chart settings: Theme, Bar Type, Bar Scheme, Labels.
The Bar size is unticked for the templates.

All pages are linked "Yellow" so when I change instrument, they all change and maintain their templates and bar size/type.

Attachments

• page names.JPG
    page names.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 11
  • Bar page.JPG
    Bar page.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Momentum page.JPG
    Momentum page.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Donchian Page.JPG
    Donchian Page.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 12
  • template save settings.JPG
    template save settings.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 12

nooris

Hmmm I have 3 pages, all saved with unique names e.g.
- Pos (bar),
- Momentum(bar with ma's),
- Donchian channel (candle))
Each one has its own template applied with the settings on the template to include chart settings: Theme, Bar Type, Bar Scheme, Labels.
The Bar size is unticked for the templates.

All pages are linked "Yellow" so when I change instrument, they all change and maintain their templates and bar size/type.
I never tried templates. I think that's the missing link (no pun intended). Will give it a go soon. Thanks.

nooris

OK so templates nearly solved all my problems... nearly. The big remaining problem is that templates do not save the top/bottom inset. This creates a problem for me because I use the totals at the bottom of the volume imprint chart, which takes about 15% of the bottom, so I need the bottom inset set to 80. But as mentioned before, once they are linked (even with different templates) the charts will harmonize the top/bottom inset and I end up with an unusable volume imprint chart.

Many (most?) of us don't need this type of full linking all the time. The option to just change all the charts symbols should be a no-brainer. I'm attaching the promotional image on the motive wave homepage. Take a closer look at this mess, no linking, clicking a symbol from the quotes at the bottom won't change anything. You have to go to each chart and change the symbol manually. In my humble opinion that is crap design, and more reminiscent of Sierra chart than trading view. On a lighter note, the ES was 2900 (seems ancient history).

Attachments

• home_screenshot.png
    home_screenshot.png
    903.1 KB · Views: 10

angoodwi

Hmmm ok so, this is were maybe the watchlist needs to be changed.
MW has 2 options, in the Watchlist:

Create Watchlist or Create Watchlist with (Quote Sheet enabled)
All my watchlists are enabled as Quote sheets, and a group within the watchlist (Quote Sheet) is linked in Yellow. I can then simply select each instrument and all charts on all pages are updated with the same ticker using different templates.
I scroll/select through 50 and 100 stocks in a few hours looking for easy patterns.

Try this and assuming this is what you mean :)

1700613901903.png
1700613830113.png