Can I rename directories with white space?

Genfer

I just downloaded MotiveWave for Linux. It is a bad practice to use white space in filenames & directories.

MW created two directories "MotiveWave Extensions" & "MotiveWave Backup". Can I configure MW to use other names like "MotiveWave_Extensions" & "MotiveWave_Backup"?

Thanks

Spin

Hello @Genfer and welcome to the MW-forums :)

I wouldn't do that if I were you: the build file will look for the "MotiveWave Extensions"-folder (with a space instead of an underscore), and might not find it if you rename it ...

Genfer

Thank you for your answer. I know that custom indicators are created there and I can modify "ext.dir" path in the file "build.xml" but how I tell the MotiveWave application that ext.dir changed?

Reading the SDK manual, it seems that these directories are hard-coded in the program. I can confess that seeing these kind of names is awful :)

Spin

Thank you for your answer. I know that custom indicators are created there and I can modify "ext.dir" path in the file "build.xml" but how I tell the MotiveWave application that ext.dir changed?

I don't think you can. I don't know how to, anyway. Perhaps mail the MW-staff and ask ? :unsure:

I agree that spaces in filenames look bad (and are responsible for all kinds of weirdness and frustration, not to mention the probably thousands of hours of lost time) Should be avoided at all costs imo :LOL:

Genfer

I agree with this. Please stop using spaces in file/directory names.

Screenshot_20210413_192036.png