Build Problem

JMH

Hi All,

I'm new to MotiveWave. I'm trying to compile MotiveWave Studies Examples with the help of the documentation on MAC OSX.

===================
Java Version:
java version "1.8.0_261"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_261-b12)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.261-b12, mixed mode)
javac 1.8.0_261

Eclipse Version: 2020-06 (4.16.0)

===================
Error generated:
Buildfile: /Users/jean-marc/Programmation/Eclipse/Workspace_Motivewave/MotiveWave Studies Examples/MotiveWave Studies/build/build.xml
clean:
[delete] Deleting directory /Users/jean-marc/Programmation/Eclipse/Workspace_Motivewave/MotiveWave Studies Examples/MotiveWave Studies/build/classes
compile:
[mkdir] Created dir: /Users/jean-marc/Programmation/Eclipse/Workspace_Motivewave/MotiveWave Studies Examples/MotiveWave Studies/build/classes
[javac] Compiling 6 source files to /Users/jean-marc/Programmation/Eclipse/Workspace_Motivewave/MotiveWave Studies Examples/MotiveWave Studies/build/classes
[javac] /Users/jean-marc/Programmation/Eclipse/Workspace_Motivewave/MotiveWave Studies Examples/MotiveWave Studies/src/study_examples/CompositeSample.java:3: error: cannot access BarSize
[javac] import com.motivewave.platform.sdk.common.BarSize;
[javac] ^
[javac] bad class file: /Users/jean-marc/Programmation/Eclipse/Workspace_Motivewave/MotiveWave Studies Examples/MotiveWave Studies/lib/mwave_sdk.jar(com/motivewave/platform/sdk/common/BarSize.class)
[javac] class file has wrong version 57.0, should be 52.0
[javac] Please remove or make sure it appears in the correct subdirectory of the classpath.
BUILD FAILED
/Users/jean-marc/Programmation/Eclipse/Workspace_Motivewave/MotiveWave Studies Examples/MotiveWave Studies/build/build.xml:46: Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.
Total time: 887 milliseconds

I don't understand, I use the right version of Java. Do you know which java compiler version was used to compile the the library

Any idea?

Thank for your help.

Spin

Hello there @JMH and welcome to the MW-forums :)

You seem to do everything correctly, as far as I can see.

I have had compiling issues too in the recent past (with a very similar error-statement) and discovered that MW updated their sdk.jar. So I re-downloaded it from the 'resources' on their site https://www.motivewave.com/support/sdk.htm

Everything runs smoothly here now, with both the old and the new sdk.jar in my 'lib'-folder. I use JavaSE-11

EDIT: if you happen to have a hex-editor lying around, you could easily check what version your class was built in:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_class_file#General_layout
This might also help:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9170832/list-of-java-class-file-format-major-version-numbers

JMH

Hello @Spin,

Thank you for your quick answer.

Let's see how the major version numbers map to Java versions:
45 = Java 1.1
46 = Java 1.2
47 = Java 1.3
48 = Java 1.4
49 = Java 5
50 = Java 6
51 = Java 7
52 = Java 8
53 = Java 9
54 = Java 10
55 = Java 11
56 = Java 12
57 = Java 13

Then, it's mean that, in the current version of MotiveWave library, the Java version 13 (57) is used. I need in this case to install JDK 13 (JRE 13). But I read in the document that the minimal Java version used should be 8. This is false!
I will try with the Version 13.

JMH

The version Java 14 is 58. Version 13 does not exist!
So I downloaded the Version 14. It works fine.
Thanks for help.

Last edited:

Spin

Ok, so i looked into the hexadecimal values of my 2019 mwave_sdk.jar and found this for the BarSize.class:

The major class version is Java SE 9 = 53 (0x35 hex), so compiling with your original SE8 will not work imo.

For the most recent mwave_sdk.jar (the one on MW's site right now), the hexvalues are

so you would at least need Java SE 13 = 57 (0x39 hex), I think.

That version can be downloaded here:
https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase-jdk13-downloads.html

Please verify again :)

PS: inspecting those hexvalues is as simple as extracting a single class from that .jar, and then running "hexdump BarSize.class | less" in a Linux or Mac terminal. Win has something similar, ask Dr. Google

JMH

Thank You.
I don't need to check Hex Data. During the compiling, this information is generated. As I said, I tested with the Version 14. It works fine.
This is strange because on my Oracle link, i didn't find the version 13.

Spin

--- EDIT ---

SOLVED: I took this opportunity to switch to IntelliJ and succeeded in getting everything to work there :)

------------

Ok, I am puzzled now.

I just downloaded the latest 'motivewave_studies.zip' from this location: https://www.motivewave.com/support/sdk.htm

I removed the old .jar from my project's build path and added the one from the .zip file mentioned above.

I get a bunch of errors when building:

I have tried:
  • Project - clean
  • Project - refresh
  • restarting Eclipse
  • removing the .jar and re-adding it, both in the ModulePath and in the ClassPath
I have checked one of the classes in the latest .jar in a hexeditor and it has version 39 (which stands for Java SE13, as noted in previous posts in this thread)

I have not changed my JAVA-version since downloading the latest SDK-file from MW (it was set to JAVA SE13 before, and all compilations worked without a glitch)

I am out of inspiration here. Is there a remote possibility that the latest .jar was badly compiled ?
Anything else I might have missed ?
:unsure:

Last edited:

jpark

Fwiw, I can confirm that I just downloaded that latest 'motivewave_studies.zip' file and it worked on my end. New to this project, so I might not be of too much more help than that, i'm afraid :/

sas7085

I have changed the java version and landed into one issue. I am able to build the eclipse project and the class files / jar is being copied to Motive Wave extension folder but i am not able the see the Example folder in Strategies.

Ant Log :
Buildfile: /home/sam/git/motivewave/MotiveWaveStudies/MotiveWave Studies/build/build.xml
clean:
[delete] Deleting directory /home/sam/git/motivewave/MotiveWaveStudies/MotiveWave Studies/build/classes
[delete] Deleting directory /home/sam/git/motivewave/MotiveWaveStudies/MotiveWave Studies/build/jar
compile:
[mkdir] Created dir: /home/sam/git/motivewave/MotiveWaveStudies/MotiveWave Studies/build/classes
[javac] Compiling 12 source files to /home/sam/git/motivewave/MotiveWaveStudies/MotiveWave Studies/build/classes
deploy:
[delete] Deleting directory /home/sam/MotiveWave Extensions/dev
[mkdir] Created dir: /home/sam/MotiveWave Extensions/dev
[copy] Copying 24 files to /home/sam/MotiveWave Extensions/dev
BUILD SUCCESSFUL
Total time: 1 second

I am using Java 17 and downgraded to 13 to test but no lock. Earlier using java 11 and it was working.
My Motive wave version is old one 6.5.2.

1654992192381.png

surfziggy

I have changed the java version and landed into one issue. I am able to build the eclipse project and the class files / jar is being copied to Motive Wave extension folder but i am not able the see the Example folder in Strategies.

Ant Log :
Buildfile: /home/sam/git/motivewave/MotiveWaveStudies/MotiveWave Studies/build/build.xml
clean:
[delete] Deleting directory /home/sam/git/motivewave/MotiveWaveStudies/MotiveWave Studies/build/classes
[delete] Deleting directory /home/sam/git/motivewave/MotiveWaveStudies/MotiveWave Studies/build/jar
compile:
[mkdir] Created dir: /home/sam/git/motivewave/MotiveWaveStudies/MotiveWave Studies/build/classes
[javac] Compiling 12 source files to /home/sam/git/motivewave/MotiveWaveStudies/MotiveWave Studies/build/classes
deploy:
[delete] Deleting directory /home/sam/MotiveWave Extensions/dev
[mkdir] Created dir: /home/sam/MotiveWave Extensions/dev
[copy] Copying 24 files to /home/sam/MotiveWave Extensions/dev
BUILD SUCCESSFUL
Total time: 1 second

I am using Java 17 and downgraded to 13 to test but no lock. Earlier using java 11 and it was working.
My Motive wave version is old one 6.5.2.

View attachment 1303
I have the same issue on Mac with Eclipse and JDK20.

surfziggy

Solved this issue - had to make sure I was using JDK19 with Eclipse not JDK20, which was the default to install from Oracle etc