Analysis and Template... so confusing..... :-(

heispark

I've never thought my IQ is low but analysis and template feature in MW is so confusing to me.... Perhaps because I'm used to MT4 style simple template. Thinkorswim has a similar dual system but it's not as confusing as MW's. Am I the only one feeling like this? 🥴

heispark

When I open
Hello,

Are you talking about how each instrument has analysis?
https://support.motivewave.com/videos/#analyses

Or are you talking about Chart Templates? We have a couple videos.
https://support.motivewave.com/videos/chart-template-preferences/
https://support.motivewave.com/videos/manage-templates/

Please let me know how you would expect it to work compared to how it currently does.

Thank you.
Analysis is symbol dependent. When I open a new symbol chart which I haven't opened before, the only analysis to import is Primary Analysis (it's mandatory). After I open a new symbol chart with Primary Analysis, I usually apply a template I saved before. When I close MW, it asks me if I want to save the analysis (Primary Analysis in this case). When I click 'Yes' (default selection), then Primary Analysis is contaminated by the template I imported. Laster when I open another chart with Primary Analysis, the previous template is imported automatically (while I expect a blank chart to import another template). In this case, if I apply another template onto this chart, two templates are mixed in the chart. The correct procedure should be once I opened a blank chart using Primary Analysis in the beginning, I have to go to File > Chart > Manage Analysis and add new blank analysis and have to use this analysis for new template instead. Primary Analysis should NOT be modified unless I have very specific reason. After completing this procedure, now I can apply new template onto this new blank analysis. I have to do this all over again whenever I open new symbols. This is quite counter intuitive, time consuming and unnecessarily/overly complicated. I've used MT4's very simple template feature for last 10 years and never have complained about it. Perhaps, this is only me because I know some people like MW's analysis feature very mcuh. So..... anyway... 🥴😵

Last edited:

heispark

My Suggestions:

1. New Chart Tab dialog box: Currently Primary Analysis is the only and mandatory analysis to import when I try to open a new symbol. Need to have 'Add New Analysis' option directly in this dialog box for convenience and to avoid pollute Primary Analysis accidentally.
2. Overlapping templates: If I apply another template, it should overwrite previous template instead of template overlapping.
3. Default save action to Primary Analysis. If Primary Analysis works like a master template or analysis, we don't update it frequently. Therefore, save dialog with default 'Yes' should not be displayed.

Anyway, this is my personal opinion and other people may just happy with current features. 😏

MotiveWave_Jason

Staff member
My Suggestions:

1. New Chart Tab dialog box: Currently Primary Analysis is the only and mandatory analysis to import when I try to open a new symbol. Need to have 'Add New Analysis' option directly in this dialog box for convenience and to avoid pollute Primary Analysis accidentally.
2. Overlapping templates: If I apply another template, it should overwrite previous template instead of template overlapping.
3. Default save action to Primary Analysis. If Primary Analysis works like a master template or analysis, we don't update it frequently. Therefore, save dialog with default 'Yes' should not be displayed.

Anyway, this is my personal opinion and other people may just happy with current features. 😏

Hello,

I will add all your suggestions to our feature request list for review.

2. As an alternative, you could delete the current template before applying a new one. Just right-click the template name in the top left corner of your chart and select delete.

Thank you for the feedback.

heispark

Hello,

I will add all your suggestions to our feature request list for review.

2. As an alternative, you could delete the current template before applying a new one. Just right-click the template name in the top left corner of your chart and select delete.

Thank you for the feedback.
By the way, I found even if I select 'No' to save Primary Analysis dialog box, next time I open Primary Analysis, it's updated with the template I opened last time. I opened a new symbol as a new chart tab with Primary Analysis (blank chart) > I applied a template I save before > I closed the chart tab > A dialog box opens asking if I want to save the analysis (Primary Analysis) > I clicked 'No' > I opened the same symbol tab with Primary Analysis > The last template is applied in the chart (when blank chart is expected.)

MotiveWave_Leigh

Staff member
When I open

Analysis is symbol dependent. When I open a new symbol chart which I haven't opened before, the only analysis to import is Primary Analysis (it's mandatory). After I open a new symbol chart with Primary Analysis, I usually apply a template I saved before. When I close MW, it asks me if I want to save the analysis (Primary Analysis in this case). When I click 'Yes' (default selection), then Primary Analysis is contaminated by the template I imported. Laster when I open another chart with Primary Analysis, the previous template is imported automatically (while I expect a blank chart to import another template). In this case, if I apply another template onto this chart, two templates are mixed in the chart. The correct procedure should be once I opened a blank chart using Primary Analysis in the beginning, I have to go to File > Chart > Manage Analysis and add new blank analysis and have to use this analysis for new template instead. Primary Analysis should NOT be modified unless I have very specific reason. After completing this procedure, now I can apply new template onto this new blank analysis. I have to do this all over again whenever I open new symbols. This is quite counter intuitive, time consuming and unnecessarily/overly complicated. I've used MT4's very simple template feature for last 10 years and never have complained about it. Perhaps, this is only me because I know some people like MW's analysis feature very mcuh. So..... anyway... 🥴😵
I think there is a misunderstanding as to what you think the Primary Analysis is (it's not a template and you don't import it), and how MotiveWave works vs. other platforms, so let me try to explain.
1. In other platforms, when you start them up, everything is blank/no chart/etc. and you have to start from scratch every time by creating a new chart or pull up a chart you saved.
2. MotiveWave isn't like that. When you start up MotiveWave, it displays the last charts you had, so you can continue from where you left off. The "Primary Analysis" is not a new blank chart. It is your saved chart for that symbol from last time. So, when you're using MotiveWave, you are never opening a blank chart, like in other platforms.
3. If you want a "blank chart", you would go to File>Chart>New Analysis. This pops up a window which allows you to name that "chart"/new Analysis and select whether you want it as an Empty chart (no previous analysis on it), or based on another Analysis you already have saved (and you will see the available options in the 'Based On' dropdown).
4. When you close MotiveWave and you get the 'Unsaved Changes' message asking if you want to save the unsaved changes for your analysis--That is asking if you want to overwrite/save the changes you've made since the last save of those charts, or if you want to discard all of the changes you've made since the last save. Unless you've created Alternate Analyses, you will only ever see the Primary Analysis option. There is a Primary Analysis for each symbol (which is the chart)--the Primary Analysis is not a template.

Here's an overview video on our Analyses function, which explains the Primary Analysis and Alternate Analyses: https://support.motivewave.com/videos/analyses-overview/
Here's a video on creating Templates: https://support.motivewave.com/videos/study-templates/

heispark

I think there is a misunderstanding as to what you think the Primary Analysis is (it's not a template and you don't import it), and how MotiveWave works vs. other platforms, so let me try to explain.
1. In other platforms, when you start them up, everything is blank/no chart/etc. and you have to start from scratch every time by creating a new chart or pull up a chart you saved.
2. MotiveWave isn't like that. When you start up MotiveWave, it displays the last charts you had, so you can continue from where you left off. The "Primary Analysis" is not a new blank chart. It is your saved chart for that symbol from last time. So, when you're using MotiveWave, you are never opening a blank chart, like in other platforms.
3. If you want a "blank chart", you would go to File>Chart>New Analysis. This pops up a window which allows you to name that "chart"/new Analysis and select whether you want it as an Empty chart (no previous analysis on it), or based on another Analysis you already have saved (and you will see the available options in the 'Based On' dropdown).
4. When you close MotiveWave and you get the 'Unsaved Changes' message asking if you want to save the unsaved changes for your analysis--That is asking if you want to overwrite/save the changes you've made since the last save of those charts, or if you want to discard all of the changes you've made since the last save. Unless you've created Alternate Analyses, you will only ever see the Primary Analysis option. There is a Primary Analysis for each symbol (which is the chart)--the Primary Analysis is not a template.

Here's an overview video on our Analyses function, which explains the Primary Analysis and Alternate Analyses: https://support.motivewave.com/videos/analyses-overview/
Here's a video on creating Templates: https://support.motivewave.com/videos/study-templates/
Thank you very much Leigh for details. MW is really great! I just need some more time to get accustomed to the powerful and sophisticated features of MW. Just like any other powerful platforms like Sierra Chart or Ninja Trader, it has some challenging learning curve. I was a long time user of MT4, so I think I was addicted to their 'minimalism'..... 😓

Doubledown

Heispark,
You are not alone in the confusion surrounding the analysis framework of MW. I come from Sierra and have found this to the primary limiting factor in my full transition to MW. I just want to open a blank of a symbol and not have to worry whether it is a primary or secondary analysis. I suspect others have come to grips with it but I get really frustrated and move to Sierra. Quite frankly the whole thing doesn’t make a lot of sense when compared to other programs but I should have thought more before the purchase because I really love the visual appearance and customization MW allows.

MotiveWave_Leigh

Staff member
Heispark,
You are not alone in the confusion surrounding the analysis framework of MW. I come from Sierra and have found this to the primary limiting factor in my full transition to MW. I just want to open a blank of a symbol and not have to worry whether it is a primary or secondary analysis. I suspect others have come to grips with it but I get really frustrated and move to Sierra. Quite frankly the whole thing doesn’t make a lot of sense when compared to other programs but I should have thought more before the purchase because I really love the visual appearance and customization MW allows.
The Primary is the chart for each symbol. You don't ever have to create a secondary analysis if you don't need it.

So that we can understand where the 'pain point' is, and see if there is anything we can add/change/enhance to help, can you explain why you would want a 'blank of a symbol' each time? Why would you want to lose all of the analysis you did up to that point and redo it each time you open the chart again? Why wouldn't you want to start again where you left off?

Currently, if you really want to delete everything you've done, you can do a ctrl A (or cmd A on the mac) to select everything and hit your keyboard delete key.

Last edited: