2 concerns: Chart Zoom Out- Why does Minute Change and Why does loading take so long?

Ghome

Why is it that when I am on for example a 5min Chart and I zoom out to see more days it will automatically switch to like a 10min chart etc...
All other platforms I have used keeps the minute size the same no matter if I zoom out or in.

Also why is chart data when I zoom out so slow when loading more history? Sometimes by changing the minutes it will stop loading other times I have to close and restart motivewave just to try it again and possibly have it do the same issue again.

I waste some much time with these two things.

nooris

MotiveWave lets you zoom out and continue zooming out and it will change the timeframe to be able to fit the data. Other platforms will indeed keep the minute size, but will max out and stop you from zooming out. You will then have to change the timeframe to zoom out more. So if you are on a 5 min chart and you want to see a month worth of data you can just zoom out on MotiveWave until you get it, while on other platforms you will need a combination of zoom out and time frame change.

Now the second part, I am not sure what data provider you use, what internet connection you have, and more importantly what pc/Mac you have. On CQG, data is fast, I can get 5 years of data from a new instrument (not cached) in about 30-40 seconds. But then once things are cached it's just a few seconds to load it. I use a Mac M2 with an SSD (I think the SSD part is key for fast loading of cached data).

Ghome

I use rhithmic and have fast internet and a Mac laptop. Only thing I could think of is maybe it's my Mac laptop, but while motivewave was slow my think or swim was moving quickly and I was able to do my charting on that because motivewave was taken too long. And it doesn't happen all the time but some days it's just so slow.

nooris

Since you are using Rhythmic, that means you are trading futures, and that means there is a handful of instruments you look at. So everything should be cached already. I can therefore eliminate rhythmic / internet speed as the problem. Does your Mac use an SSD? Also it could be the processor overwhelmed especially if it is a fan-less MacBook Air (which throttles the processor when things get hot). You might want to try to install MotiveWave on another newer machine you have access to and compare.

nooris

But then again, you say ToS worked well on your machine... So that leaves me confused... Hopefully someone smarter chimes in and helps.

Donovan2580

Why is it that when I am on for example a 5min Chart and I zoom out to see more days it will automatically switch to like a 10min chart etc...
All other platforms I have used keeps the minute size the same no matter if I zoom out or in.

How are you zooming in and out?? What buttons / mouse functions are you using to actually zoom in and out?

Ghome

I am using a mouse scroll and then i may overly scroll and then I get the loading freeze

Ghome

Since you are using Rhythmic, that means you are trading futures, and that means there is a handful of instruments you look at. So everything should be cached already. I can therefore eliminate rhythmic / internet speed as the problem. Does your Mac use an SSD? Also it could be the processor overwhelmed especially if it is a fan-less MacBook Air (which throttles the processor when things get hot). You might want to try to install MotiveWave on another newer machine you have access to and compare.
Thanks for you feedback

I have a MacBook pro 2017 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core 16GB Memory 251GB Flash Storage not SSD

Donovan2580

I am using a mouse scroll and then i may overly scroll and then I get the loading freeze

I had only ask that because I have never had the charts switch time frames no matter how far back I zoom out, nor how far I zoom in. If I am looking at a 5 minute chart, it stays on a five minute chart.

Have you tried zooming in and out by dragging your mouse along with time axis and the price axis? Does the bar size change when you zoom in / out that way?

Last edited:

Ghome

I had only ask that because I have never had the charts switch time frames no matter how far back I zoom out, nor how far I zoom in. If I am looking at a 5 minute chart, it stays on a five minute chart.

Have you tried zooming in and out by dragging your mouse along with time axis and the price axis? Does the bar size change when you zoom in / out that way?

Don't have my mouse at the moment but I click and dragged on the time axis and it still changed from 5min to 10min.. maybe its a settings thing. The video you sent you are on a 30min that is a higher time frame so you can zoom out more. im sure if you tried that at 5min it would change.

I guess what nooris said at the top of the chat is why it is happening. It just messes me up wanting to view imbalances supply/demand areas.

Donovan2580

It must be something that is switched on that is causing the time frame change. If that did that to me I would go NUTS. o_O

Here are my chart preferences for reference. Perhaps by comparing your to mine you can zero in on it

1691095675017.png

Ghome

It must be something that is switched on that is causing the time frame change. If that did that to me I would go NUTS. o_O

Here are my chart preferences for reference. Perhaps by comparing your to mine you can zero in on it

View attachment 1847Nice so it seems that it is better. I can zoom out much futher out before the 5min changes to
Everything is pretty much the same as mine the only thing that I didn't have clicked was Lock Bar Size. So the 15min and 30min seems I can zoom out a lil more before they change but they still will change after a while. The 5min will change to 10min once I zoom out to more then 4 RTH. I mean I can work around it but I just wish it wouldn't adjust automatically. Thank you for your help.

Ghome

I guess my main issue that I am having is this.

Lets say ES is at a new low that hasn't hit since last month so I will zoom out on my 30min chart and it may adjust the candles to `1hr which is totally fine but the issues for me is when I find the area I want to view and zoom back into that area and the candles are still at the 1hr so then I adjust it back to 30min candles but when I do that the chart will jump back to present time so I cant set my supply/demand zones. That is the main reason I started asking about this.

Donovan2580

Ahh I see what you are talking about - I went in this morning and zoomed way, way back and I see it does switch time frames on my end when you zoom way out. So I guess that is good news it isn't just you :rolleyes:

Normally if I need to go that far back I use a separate 4 hour chart to find those supply/demand zones so I have never noticed.

It appears I can get back to May 23rd or so on the ES before it won't hold a 30 minute time frame anymore.

You can use the birds eye tool to scroll back to an earlier time & it will hold the time frame - but I am not sure if that'll help you at all.

Wish I could have been more of a help.

ESU3 - Untitled - Aug-04 0748 AM (30 min).png

nooris

OK I think I figured out what your specific problem might be. Go to mouse settings on your Mac. I bet your mouse is scrolling 3 or 5 clicks at a time. Set it to 1 and your scrolling will be more precise. *Disclaimer, I don't use a mouse, I use a trackpad, but this is my best theory.

Ghome

OK I think I figured out what your specific problem might be. Go to mouse settings on your Mac. I bet your mouse is scrolling 3 or 5 clicks at a time. Set it to 1 and your scrolling will be more precise. *Disclaimer, I don't use a mouse, I use a trackpad, but this is my best theory.
Great idea man will do that appreciate it.

Ghome

Ahh I see what you are talking about - I went in this morning and zoomed way, way back and I see it does switch time frames on my end when you zoom way out. So I guess that is good news it isn't just you :rolleyes:

Normally if I need to go that far back I use a separate 4 hour chart to find those supply/demand zones so I have never noticed.

It appears I can get back to May 23rd or so on the ES before it won't hold a 30 minute time frame anymore.

You can use the birds eye tool to scroll back to an earlier time & it will hold the time frame - but I am not sure if that'll help you at all.

Wish I could have been more of a help.

View attachment 1853
You've been amazing with the feedback I appreciate your time and effort. 🙏🏼🙏🏼