M1 Native Performance

igor.s

Hi,

Has anyone tested the latest MW for native M1 architecture? Just wondering its performance when Rosetta layer is not involved.

cheers.

coys997

How would one even go about installing in that manner? I don't think they've released a native app. That said, I will say I have had better experiences with OpenJDK vs Oracle. Might consider trying that if you're seeing perf issues.

igor.s

How would one even go about installing in that manner? I don't think they've released a native app. That said, I will say I have had better experiences with OpenJDK vs Oracle. Might consider trying that if you're seeing perf issues.
the latest platform release supports native M1.

hokxj

Running it on M1 Max.
It seems to perform much better. Less stuttering with charts.

Amine

Guys i want to get a mac air m1 ,is the native version of mtw works good? Wiuld you recommend it to me

coys997

Guys i want to get a mac air m1 ,is the native version of mtw works good? Wiuld you recommend it to me
Will be fine. I have it running on a base M1 mini with 8gb. Recommend 16gb though if you can performance should be better.

hokxj

So it works great for you,no issues?
I had stuttering once when I was using volume imprint on BTC, purposely to test out how it handled lots of data. But I haven't been able to replicate it.

Smoothest version of MW I've used, compared to my windows laptops i7-1065G7 and the Rosetta version.

Amine

Will be fine. I have it running on a base M1 mini with 8gb. Recommend 16gb though if you can performance should be better.
thanks for your answer, The 8gb isnt enough then,isn't because you already have many apps in stockage ? i didnt know that the ram could affect

Amine

I had stuttering once when I was using volume imprint on BTC, purposely to test out how it handled lots of data. But I haven't been able to replicate it.

Smoothest version of MW I've used, compared to my windows laptops

Amine

Smoothest version of MW I've used, compared to my windows laptops i7-1065G7 and the Rosetta version.
another reason to switch from windows to apple silicon, this is encouraging,thank you for your answer

coys997

thanks for your answer, The 8gb isnt enough then,isn't because you already have many apps in stockage ? i didnt know that the ram could affect
Depends on what you're using it for. The M1 version might be good enough without needing 16gb, but I haven't really had a chance to test. I'm still waiting for them to update the Rithmic libraries for the M1 version. So, I'm still suck on the Rosetta one until that's done. I'm hoping it's sooner than later.

Amine

Depends on what you're using it for. The M1 version might be good enough without needing 16gb, but I haven't really had a chance to test. I'm still waiting for them to update the Rithmic libraries for the M1 version. So, I'm still suck on the Rosetta one until that's done. I'm hoping it's sooner than later.
Ill only use it for trading on MWV and browsing,emailing ,videos,i guess 8gb is enough , nd yea we hope for rithmic soon

lightwave

I've been running the M1 native since it came out and it's fine on my M1 Max laptop. The GPU % is 75-85% during market hours. This is very high compared to other apps. Even my old TOS (java via Rosetta 2) are running at low teen GPU %. I have no idea why MotiveWave is using so much GPU cycles.

When hooked up to two external 4K displays, it slows down more. I suspect that the JavaFx library isn't using Apple's Metal for graphic rendering.

Amine

I've been running the M1 native since it came out and it's fine on my M1 Max laptop. The GPU % is 75-85% during market hours. This is very high compared to other apps. Even my old TOS (java via Rosetta 2) are running at low teen GPU %. I have no idea why MotiveWave is using so much GPU cycles.

When hooked up to two external 4K displays, it slows down more. I suspect that the JavaFx library isn't using Apple's Metal for graphic rendering.
So in conclusion is it good to have windows laptops for trading or the best experience is in mac M1 ,i mean in term of lag,bugs,running slow,new apple uptades infections on mwv ,good performence ??

lightwave

So in conclusion is it good to have windows laptops for trading or the best experience is in mac M1 ,i mean in term of lag,bugs,running slow,new apple uptades infections on mwv ,good performence ??
I don't have any Windows machine around to do a direct comparison but on Mac OS, it lags more the bigger the MotiveWave window and the more MotiveWave windows you have open (regardless of the pixel density) This is especially noticeable on the crosshair. The larger the window, the more the lag. If you resize the window to be 1/4 of the monitor, it'd draw faster and the lag is not as noticeable.

Does it run faster than my older Intel MacBook Pro? Yes. But is it problem free? No. Like any piece of software, there are rooms for improvement.

MotiveWave doesn't read this forum. If you're a paid subscriber of their support license, please send support@motivewave.com to let them know that you're not happy. When I report the lag in graphic performance, MotiveWave says I'm the only one complaining. The more users complain about the poor performance, the higher priority of this getting addressed.

Amine

I don't have any Windows machine around to do a direct comparison but on Mac OS, it lags more the bigger the MotiveWave window and the more MotiveWave windows you have open (regardless of the pixel density) This is especially noticeable on the crosshair. The larger the window, the more the lag. If you resize the window to be 1/4 of the monitor, it'd draw faster and the lag is not as noticeable.

Does it run faster than my older Intel MacBook Pro? Yes. But is it problem free? No. Like any piece of software, there are rooms for improvement.

MotiveWave doesn't read this forum. If you're a paid subscriber of their support license, please send support@motivewave.com to let them know that you're not happy. When I report the lag in graphic performance, MotiveWave says I'm the only one complaining. The more users complain about the poor performance, the higher priority of this getting addressed.
Looks like ur having a bad experience sorry for tht ,does it affect your trading positions or hving lags during an open position ?

t85

I have both. One night I installed MW on a windows laptop I had laying around just out of curiosity. It was like a whole new experienc…it was SOO MUCH BETTER in windows that I went out the same week and bought a dedicated windows desktop with two 4K monitors. Even the windows laptop on 4k monitors blows the performance on MW on Mac away…and I tried everything…parallels…VMware, etc…and MW just runes way better on a real windows machine.

I have M1 Mac, as well as a $13,000 Mac Pro desktop…and even the $1300 windows laptop runs MW way better…

…keep in mind I’ve been a heavy exclusive Mac user for over a decade…always hated working on windows machines...but now every time I try a new MotiveWave update on my Mac to see if it has improved….it’s just an AWFUL…TERRIBLE experience compared to running MW on windows.

slow…laggy…feels so unresponsive. If you are going to use MW on Mac…just make sure you NEVER experience it on windows…otherwise when you go back to trying to use it on the Mac, you will be disappointed.

I‘m sure I sound like I’m trolling…but I can assure you…I am being dead serious. It’s extremely disappointing to be honest. I like MotiveWave, but once I experienced the difference of how it runs on windows vs Mac…I have a hard time seriously considering MW to be a “Mac & Windows” machine.

As @lightwave said….JavaFX probably isnt using the Apple Metal SDK, so until that gets resolved…MW is just a laggy draggy experience on Mac.

If your trading style is a slower style or doesn’t require quickly dragging charts around, then it may not be a big deal. For me, it was a big enough deal to make me go spend over $2500 on a dedicated windows setup. But again, even a $600 windows laptop runs MW better than my $13k Xeon Mac, as well as my $2k M1 Mac.

EDIT: I should mention that I use a lot of the order flow tools that do a lot of heavy graphical calculations…so if you don’t then none of this may be a big deal and things may be just fine if you’re using a more simplified toolset.

Last edited:

Amine

I have both. One night I installed MW on a windows laptop I had laying around just out of curiosity. It was like a whole new experienc…it was SOO MUCH BETTER in windows that I went out the same week and bought a dedicated windows desktop with two 4K monitors. Even the windows laptop on 4k monitors blows the performance on MW on Mac away…and I tried everything…parallels…VMware, etc…and MW just runes way better on a real windows machine.

I have M1 Mac, as well as a $13,000 Mac Pro desktop…and even the $1300 windows laptop runs MW way better…

…keep in mind I’ve been a heavy exclusive Mac user for over a decade…always hated working on windows machines...but now every time I try a new MotiveWave update on my Mac to see if it has improved….it’s just an AWFUL…TERRIBLE experience compared to running MW on windows.

slow…laggy…feels so unresponsive. If you are going to use MW on Mac…just make sure you NEVER experience it on windows…otherwise when you go back to trying to use it on the Mac, you will be disappointed.

I‘m sure I sound like I’m trolling…but I can assure you…I am being dead serious. It’s extremely disappointing to be honest. I like MotiveWave, but once I experienced the difference of how it runs on windows vs Mac…I have a hard time seriously considering MW to be a “Mac & Windows” machine.

As @lightwave said….JavaFX probably isnt using the Apple Metal SDK, so until that gets resolved…MW is just a laggy draggy experience on Mac.

If your trading style is a slower style or doesn’t require quickly dragging charts around, then it may not be a big deal. For me, it was a big enough deal to make me go spend over $2500 on a dedicated windows setup. But again, even a $600 windows laptop runs MW better than my $13k Xeon Mac, as well as my $2k M1 Mac.

EDIT: I should mention that I use a lot of the order flow tools that do a lot of heavy graphical calculations…so if you don’t then none of this may be a big deal and things may be just fine if you’re using a more simplified toolset.
Im glad to hear ur experience,actually the trading field has many probs with mac,u have strong expensive machines that too bad cant deal with order flow package,thts bad, for me yea i only use simple tools and im scalper i need speed machine,i like mac'os system and i want to switch to it but its confusing to do so for trading after hearing ur exp, im not ready to have the same bcs im trading with prop firm,u know not like when u own an account for urslf so ill upgrade and stick with 600$ 800$ windows lap