How to move 'historical_data' folder off of the system drive

Shtick Hustler

I'm on a Mac and need to free up space on my system drive.

I copied the historical_data folder from /Users/user/Library/MotiveWave/ folder to an external drive.

I then replaced it with an alias of the same name.

But...MW will NOT read the alias folder.

Any ideas?

nooris

The data folder is not that large, so I am guessing you have very limited capacity on your drive. The best solution for you is to move you entire home directory to an external drive. I did that so I can have my 1.5GB of iCloud Photos stored locally on the Photos app. It's fairly easy to do, and you can find instructions online. However, and this is a very important caveat: only do this with a Thunderbolt 3 SSDdrive. It has to be thunderbolt 3, since only thunderbolt 3 can match (and even beat) the read/write speed of the internal SSD.

Shtick Hustler

The data folder is not that large
Mine is 30GB (all that historical Micro Emini tick data :oops:)

The best solution for you is to move you entire home directory to an external drive
I'll be upgrading my internal system drive when I get my new M3 Mac Mini (which doesn't exist yet :cool:).

In the meantime, I found a solution. It requires enabling kernel extensions on the Mac to allow for creation of hard links.
Here's how to do it:

Mac OS hard links with bindfs

FYI: deleting a hard link also DELETES ITS SOURCE FOLDER. Proceed with caution if you want to try this also.

Last edited: