Connection Fail pop-up message box

heispark

When MW was disconnected (due to wifi interruption,... etc.) I often find it late. It would be great if MW displays a pop-up message informing connection failure. By the way, it seems even if wifi comes back online, MW doesn't come back automatically. I have to reconnect it manually. Is this a normal behavior? I use Mac version.

MotiveWave_Jason

Staff member
Hello,

MotiveWave will attempt multiple re-connections, if after a certain period there is no connection it will stop trying and you will have to manually connect when your internet connection is back. We always recommend connecting to your router via Ethernet cable instead of WiFi just for reliability.

I will add a feature request to have a disconnection popup for you.

Thank you.

satishvasu

Yes. Even I never get to know when a connection to the data vendor is lost. I mostly mark some levels and wait for email alerts. But when the connection is gone, I never get to know and I would have missed the alerts for the levels. Can you also add a feature to send an email alert if a connection to the data vendor has failed

MotiveWave_Jason

Staff member
Yes. Even I never get to know when a connection to the data vendor is lost. I mostly mark some levels and wait for email alerts. But when the connection is gone, I never get to know and I would have missed the alerts for the levels. Can you also add a feature to send an email alert if a connection to the data vendor has failed

I will add this to the feature request list. Remember if there was an extended network connection loss on your end or your ISP then an email couldn't be sent either.

Thank you for the feedback.

satishvasu

Can you also provide an option to attempt to reconnect forever instead of giving up?

MotiveWave_Jason

Staff member
Hello,

We cannot continue to try to reconnect forever although we can look to increase the amount of attempts. I will add this to the feature request.

Thank you.

heispark

Any update on this? My Rithmic connection is occasionally disconnected for temporarily. When I come back, I find MW is still disconnected and dead silently while Sierra Chart is reconnected and working..... :oops:
Don't you think it is a critical issue?

jimbabwean

The problem is that you don't know when Motive Wave gives up on the connection. You'd think the little icon in the bottom left of the screen would go orange to tell you that it gave up. If MW would let you know that it has given up, then you would have information to act on, namely, to reconnect. It just sits there and pretends to be connected. So, if you think it has cut out on you, because the chart seems to have gone quiet, then you can try and disconnect (the already disconnected session) and reconnect. Not a very professional approach to connections.

Tigger

Have there been any updates on this?

If the Rithmic connection drops, there's a single beep from Motivewave and the little icon turns yellow, but no further notification. There's not even a way to re-initiate the connection without quitting and retarting the application. There's a lot that could be improved here from a usability point of view.

Tigger

Motivewave: Please give this issue consideration. IMHO this is the #1 most troubling shortcoming of Motivewave. To have your exchange connection "silently" fail while trading presents enormous risk to traders, even with exchange/server side orders. A dialog box showing reconnection attempts/failures would be an improvement.

It would also be helpful to see exchange connection "health stats" that graph latency and packet loss over time, to understand when packet loss or latency increases between Motivewave and Rithmic (or other order routing/exchange/market data providers). This would be an extremely valuable feature that Motivewave could add.

Last edited:

Tigger

Have there been any updates on this?

If the Rithmic connection drops, there's a single beep from Motivewave and the little icon turns yellow, but no further notification. There's not even a way to re-initiate the connection without quitting and retarting the application. There's a lot that could be improved here from a usability point of view.

To clarify Motivewave does re-connect if the Internet drop is brief, but there is a backoff algorithm so that successive connection attempts take increasingly longer and eventually give up. Quitting and then relaunching Motivewave resets the re-connection timer.

A better solution would be a dialog box or status window that informs the trader what is going on, and displays attempted re-connections.

Last edited: